1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing Office 2007 over Office 2003??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rehmann, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rehmann

rehmann Thread Starter

Hello
    I currently have Office 2003 Student full version installed on my computer. I have received Office Professional Plus 2007 Student media version. Do I need to uninstall Version 2003 prior to installing 2007 or will installation of version 2007 automatically uninstall version 2003. Does all the information in my .pst file convert as necessary for use in Outlook 2007. There are two discs, one called "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007" and the other one called "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 (Microsoft Office Communicator 2007". I'm guessing that the disk with the shorter title "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007" would be the correct one to install. What is the second disk with Communicator? My system is Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor, 3800+ 1.99 Ghz 2GB Ram.
    Thanks
    Steve Rehmann

2. Sponsor

3. workaholic

workaholic

no u do not need to uninstall the prev version...n if u do it wnt make a diff cos u r installing the upgraded version....
    the ms office comm 2007 is the design which enables u to communicate with features click to call....and ablity to shift conversations from instant messaging and videoconferencing etc.....
    n u need to click both the disks to install the new version!!

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know that I agree with workaholic. I didn't see where the poster says the Office 2007 installation disks are upgrade disks. If they're not, installing 2007 could very well leave 2003 intact and could cause conflicts. I've not personally gone through the process, so I don't have specifics.

You do not need to install Communicator if you don't want to. It's not an integral part of Office. I don't even know what functionality it would provide a stand-along (not enterprise connected) computer.

5. rehmann

rehmann Thread Starter

That was/is my major concern. I have no need to keep 2003 on after installing 2007. They are not upgrade disks, they are the complete version. If I manually remove 2003 prior to installing 2007 do my data files and of more concern the outlook .pst files remain. I assume they will because they are both stored in locations other than the Office 2003 folder.
    Steve Rehmann

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The data will probably remain untouched, but of course you'd want to run a regular backup before making any system changes.

7. rehmann

rehmann Thread Starter

I created a backup my .pst file, just in case and then uninstalled Office 2003. I then installed Office 2007 and I must say it was one of the smoothest Microsoft installs I've had. As soon as I opened Outlook it imported my stuff and was up right away.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!