1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing on SSD vs HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bascotie, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Here's my situation. I have a small 64GB SDD with windows 7 installed. I also have a 260 gig HDD as a spare drive. SSD's are faster but games and programs take up a lot of space so I need to install many of them on the 260 gig drive. How much of a performance impact will I feel by using this setup, rather than running games straight from the SSD?

My theory is that it wont be as bad as having the OS installed onthe 260 gig AND running games off of it since a lot of "temporary file" operations and so forth will work through the SSD? Maybe my logic is off, please help :D

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're not likely to see any difference. Remember that programs are loaded to memory before being executed, so that is the step that is slowed by the drives, and not the actual execution of the games (unless the drive needs to be accessed once in a while to load resources, like images).

Because writing to SSD's is so slow, you may actually see that they run better and faster from a regular drive.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is just the setup I use; 64gig ocz ssd for os, office, basic apps, etc and a WD 750gig for games, etc.

You will really really like the ssd. I used to have 2 WD high performance drives in raid0 and the ssd just blows away the old raid array.

4. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Awesome thanks guys. Really excited to hear it isn't bad which will keep me from buying another SSD for a RAID 0 setup. That way I can wait for prices to come down!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Raid of any type with ssd is very problem prone. TRIM does not work with raid. To help with wear leveling, you would need to break the array and secure erase the drives every 6 months or so. Recreate the array then either restore a working image OR clean install windows.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice