1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] installing samsung 950p monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tderose, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

I got a new 950p. I have a Dell dimension 4100 running ME. When I install driver and reboot, it freezes trying to recognize monitor. When I tryed to install drivers I downloaded from Samsung site, it gave me monitor installed improperly, Error 310. Need help.

tderose:

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi tderose, welcome to TSG.

Try allowing windows to find a driver for it, rather than forcing it to use the one you downloaded.

3. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I went to the control panel and clicked on add new hardware. It got stuck on searching for new hardware. I did a controlaltdelete which revealed it was not responding. The same thing happens if I reboot with my new monitor attached. I have to get ME working with my old monitor. Then I reconnect my new monitor.

Tderose

4. ~Candy~

Oooooh, you aren't changing monitors once you've powered up, are you?

5. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

Ahhhh, yes, he says slowly, vaguely uncomfortable.
    ted

6. ~Candy~

Ok, stop doing that, you can damage stuff that way.....

Let's try this, with the monitor that works with the computer, restart, go into the control panel, system, device manager and remove the monitor........then you'll be prompted to restart......you may be given a warning about removing the monitor, don't worry about it......I think this is an option in ME, while it's restarting tap the F 8 key and choose something that takes you to where you may be able to turn the computer off. You may need a ME boot disk to be able to do this......Hook up the new monitor, and then restart windows.

7. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

Okay. Would the damage be to ME or the hardware.
    Ted

8. ~Candy~

Sorry for the delay, I had to run away for a bit.......hardware damage is what I would be concerned with.

9. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

I tried the procedure and had an interesting time getting going again, but it still doesn't want to recognize the existence of the Samsung. I shut down again, hooked up my old monitor, and have decided to try again on Monday. My wife also insisted I pay some attention to my family and the rosebushes. Thank you for your time. I have to back away for a while. Would this all work better if I installed xp or would it just make life more complicated?

Ted

10. ~Candy~

I can't say for sure on that --- reinstalls sometimes come with their own set of problems.

I'm not understanding why you can't hook the new monitor up and turn the computer on.....does windows load normally without you doing anything else with drivers?

*** Edit *** Wait, you're running ME.....so I don't think I would upgrade overtop of ME to XP........others may have an idea on this, but I like clean installs better, which would mean reformatting the hard drive and starting over.

11. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

Thank you for sticking with me on this. I have dozens of children and grandchildren coming for Christmas and so my work has got to be rather episodic.

I don't have any trouble starting and restarting when the monitor is not involved. I guess I agree that I should work with ME without trying to involve XP. That seems to be a major project in itself.

I am thinking about reinstalling ME. It doesn't seem to be a major operation and the hanging may be a result of a corrupted file, but it may have to wait for Monday.

One sidelight, however. I have spent a goodly part of my life hauling children and grandchildren through the snow in sleds. Although I prefer dogs to cats, I am completely in agreement that a reluctance to haul a sled through the snow is a sign of superior intelligence.

With affection for a patient angel,

Ted

12. ~Candy~

Ok, Ted, you ready to go again at this?

Did you finish the honey do list? Hope you had a great x-mas.....

I could be wrong, but I don't believe a re-install of ME is going to solve this problem.

But, I'm not sure if I'm clear on what exactly happens if you simply connect the new monitor and power up? Does the monitor appear to work, can you see the postings being logged, does windows completely load? Please let us know EXACTLY what happens along the way........

13. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

Dearest Cacandy,

My children have just decided to treat mom and me to a weekend in Indianapolis and we are far enough in the back woods that the idea is exciting.

Thanks,

Ted

14. tderose

tderose Thread Starter

Okay, here's one for you. A techie friend of one of my daughters came by and asked what I was doing. I explained and he said, "Too many temp files. I had the same trouble."

I was skeptical, but I destroyed all the temp files I could and the machine instantly recognized my monitor. I have been scouring books for an explanation, but I couldn't find any.

The best part of this whole experience was discovering you folks. I plan to visit quite a bit. Bless you all.

Ted

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice