1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing second hard drive:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karl_stade, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karl_stade

karl_stade Thread Starter

Hi all, :cool:

I have recently come into possession of a perfectly working 80GB IDE Seagate hard drive, that has been tested and refurbished.

I would like to install it, as a secondary hard drive onto my computer, so I can install Ubuntu onto the second hard drive and leave Windows XP and all my primary data on the primary hard drive.

I work in the IT industry, but alas I am in the sales/service department, so I am only 80% cluey when it comes to actual hardware configuration.

I opened up my case and I have a 200GB Western Digital HDD in the box currently set as a master (as it is the only one there atm).. however, on the sticker on the HDD describing the jumper settings it says that there is a jumper setting "Master w/ Slave"... would I need to set the jumpers to this to then hook up this 80GB Seagate as a Slave? I have checked the jumper settings on the Seagate and it is on Slave mode. Or can I just leave the WDL on "Master" and have the Seagate as "Slave" and it will all work ok?

Also, would I need to configure the BIOS to let it "see" the second hard drive, or will the PC automatically recognise that there is an extra HDD plugged in...?

Any help or suggestions would be great! (y)

Btw, Linux ppl... I realise that in theory that you can install Linux onto the same HDD as Windows.. but I would like to keep it all simple and separate in case I don't like anything or in case anything happens to either.

Thanks again!

2. mrss

mrss Guest

Sounds to me that you set the master jumper for "Master w/Slave" and the slave for "Slave". I've mixed and matched a number of drives and once in a while some combos from different manufacturers still work even if set wrong, but you can't count on that. Set them per the labels.

As far as BIOS, it will depend on the BIOS. On one of my PC's, I have to enter the BIOS whenever I change the HD configuration, let it detect them, and then save it. On the rest, it's all automatic. It's useful to go there and look anyway, just to make sure that the BIOS can see the drives, and that it didn't change the boot order.

============================================

BTW, I've been interested in doing ubuntu on an older PC. I suppose drivers are needed for the hardware. Are there issues gettng drivers for obsolete hardware?

3. bigbear

bigbear

What you have described is correct so long as the second drive is on the second connector on the ribbon.
    You can also set the jumper cable select CS
    The only way you will able to boot from the second drive is to hit F8 on start up, and use the boot menu to choose which drive to boot from (which might become a pain).
    It is simpler just to create a small partition on the boot drive and load Linux there.
    BTW if all you what is to see if the like Linux then try a "live cd"

4. DVOM

DVOM

In my experience, a WD hard drive has to be jumpered "Master with Slave" to be able to use a slave drive.

As for BIOS settings, as said, it can go either way, some are automatically detected while some (Dell in my experience) needs the BIOS set to detect the additional hard drive.

As for booting an OS from the slave drive, in my system I have to set the BIOS to boot a Windows OS from the second drive, however Linux will boot from the slave drive without resetting the boot drive in the BIOS.

Another thing that might be helpful is that Linux will install to and boot from a logical partition.

5. karl_stade

Hrm, I hope it recognises my hdd automatically. I have an "Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG".

My current WD HDD (which is IDE btw) is set as the master, that is it has no jumpers set up... and as you said, it has the jumper options to set it as Master, Slave, Cable Select, and Master w/ Slave.

Maybe I should just mix and match the settings until I get it to work correctly?
    Is there any way I can damage the hardware or any data by incorrectly setting the jumpers? Or will it just not boot/function correctly until I set it to the correct setting or return it to the default config?

Trail and error, I find, is normally the best way to learn how things work best.. but I don't want to damage anything either...

Apparently Linux runs very well on some older hardware.. but I suppose you will just have to try and load it on and see how it goes? I'm not much of a Linux expert, just looking into it, as the past two computer technicians that have worked with me both use Linux and swear by it... they have to be onto something.

Could you please confirm what I have described as correct, I know it sounds stupid.

A mate of mine who has some formal tech experience said that he has it setup like this at home... I was talking to him about installing hard drives at a party... how cool are we? :p

I was told by a guy who uses Linux that if Linux is on the second drive it will ask you on boot which drive to load off, thus which OS to load. Maybe I misheard.

I have thought about doing this... but I am too slack to backup all my data, partition the drive, reload everything etc etc.. I have 20GB of music I don't want to have to reload onto my PC.

I have the live install CD for Ubuntu... but it is pretty slow when it is running from the disk/RAM.. I want to see it running in all it's glory... plus I really want to get the Beryl add-on for Ubuntu.. it is sooo cool... can only do that with it hard installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM

Cool, will give it a go. As I said above, is there anyway that I could damage the data or device by incorrect jumper settings?

I have a locally manufactured PC with an Award Modular BIOS, so I hope I should be ok.

That means after I install the second drive and it is all good, I can install Linux onto the second drive and it will give me a choice on startup which OS to load?

Noob question, but what is a logical partition? :)

Thanks for all the input so-far guys!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One last question:

I upgraded my video card from a 128mb 5200 to a 256mb 6600 when I first got my PC.... and I am also running a blue LED fan... I have a 300w power supply, is there any chance that by adding another HDD I will cause the system to be "underpowered"?

I am also running a standard Gigabyt mobo, a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz CPU, a DVD drive and a media card reader.. plus USB keyboard and mouse.

I know that manufacturers sometimes only put the bare minimum power supply for the computer to function correctly, but don't allow for future upgrades. E.g. The total power consumption of the original system might have been 280w... so they put a 300w power supply in there because that is the cheapest option... since adding the fan and video card.. and then another hard drive.. I am worried I could cause damage to the system.

6. karl_stade

Just a little bump, there are still some unanswered questions here. (y)

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

A Hard drive doesn't use that much power so I doubt underpowered would be an issue but it is a possibility. On the other hand 300 watts today, even with top notch quality brand name and it matters on psu, probably is only barely adequate. A generic or poor 300 watt is probably insufficient for what you are running before you install the drive.
    I never saw anything but a Dell need to have hard drives refreshed.
    Live CD Linux should allow you to remove the cd after you are up, but the bigger cd's like 600+ meg do seem really sluggish. If you want to see a live cd that flies, try Puppy Linux which is an 80 meg cd and you can remove it once you are going. It stores whatever yopu do to a partition on your hard drive for next time so it stays pretty quick.
    http://www.puppylinux.org/

8. karl_stade

I got it all installed today, the tech at work did most of the work, but I helped and over-saw him. I asked him about it getting under powered and he said it shouldn't be a problem with what I am running. I added another fan today as well as the extra 80GB hard drive, to help dissapait the new heat.

I hope I don't have any issues with the PSU.. I have already had one replaced under warranty. It is a pretty generic brand. Will just have to see how I go, if I have to get another good quality 400w PSU, so be it, I get everything cost-price anyway.

So, SOLVED for now anyway... now it's on the subject of figuring our Linux.... but I will leave that for another thread.

I have the Ubuntu Live CD, it's an ISO about 700mbs in size... ran pretty good on my PC as I have 1GB of RAM. However, as I got this second hard drive installed ok, the tech who is also a Linux user installed Ubuntu on the second hdd from the Live install disk for me and sorted it all out. I am using Ubuntu now as a matter of fact, it is rather good. A few issues so far, but nothing I can't solve. (y)

ED:

To solve the issue of HDD config, I had to set the MASTER WDL as Master w/ Slave, and the SLAVE Seagate as SLAVE. Booted fine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice