1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing second HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by governor, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. governor

governor Thread Starter

I am sure this is a repetitive request, but filtering through my search results is very time consuming, I get off track. So, please excuse my laziness.

I bought a brand new computer, my old machine took a hit during a thunder storm. It does not turn on. I would like to take out the old HD and place it in my new machine, either to copy it onto new HD or use both drives. which ever is the best idea. Any advice?

Now, how do I do it after plugging in the wires? Can some one layout the sequence of adding my old HD, copying from old HD to new HD? Both HD operate with Windows XP.

Thank you for reading this, and responding,
    Carl

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

Do not attempt to install the old drive as a system drive, because the drivers will be wrong. Install the old drive as a slave so that you can access it to copy/paste any essential files that you want and then do a low level format on it so that you can use it for extra space/partitions.

3. photolady

photolady

On the Dell your main drive is probably set up as Cable Select, to use the old drive as a Slave, you'll need to reset the jumpers on both drives. Change the one on the Dell to Master or Master w/slave, then set the jumper on the old drive as Slave. The pins on the back of the drives are usually either blue, white or black. And setup should be written on the top of the drives.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why would you need to change the jumpers on the original drive if it is cable select?

Just set the jumper on the drive you are adding to CS as well and install it. Note CS uses the position of the drive to determine master / slave. The blue end of the cable goes to the mb or controller, the black end to the master device, and the gray end to the slave device.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW dells can be a real pain due to the limited space inside the case. You may or may not have to rearrange the position of the system drive. If at all possible try not to stack the drives one right on top of the other. This makes the drives run hotter.

6. photolady

photolady

Why change them? Because most times, a drive set as Cable Select, will chose which operating system, it wants to boot from and if left as is, on cable select and OP tries to boot, may get the option to "which windows do you want to boot" and have seen this cause confusion with my customers. That's why I said change from CS to M/S.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Which drive to boot from is set in the bios and has nothing to do with use of CS or master / slave jumpers. As long as you do not change the boot drive in the bios, using either CS or master / slave will have no effect on which drive is used to boot. Whether there is an os or not on the drive is irrelevant; you can have only one drive selected as the boot drive and that is done in the bios.

8. governor

governor Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I have enough to get started

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice