1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing Ubuntu 8 within Windows as a file?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by rehmann, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rehmann

rehmann Thread Starter

Hello:
    I am thinking of installing Ubuntu on my laptop which is running Windows XP SP3. I thought that I had read in the Ubuntu "manual" that version 8 could be installed within Windows XP as a seperate file folder and then run from there. I have not been able to find any follow up on this. Is this possible? Otherwise, I may install this with a new partition. It would be nice to "test drive" it without having to partition.
    Steve Rehmann

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I think this might be it? "andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003, Vista; 32-bit versions only). "
    http://www.andlinux.org/

Richard.

3. arochester

arochester

4. namenotfound

namenotfound

I think that website means "Windows NT based", since XP and Vista use NT code (hence "NTFS" for NT File System). "Windows 2000 based" doesn't sound right. That website is funny :D

5. Wino

Wino

I'm running Hardy Heron on two separate XP machines installed as a file in Windows. The option is given when you run the 8.0 install disk. After install - You will get the option on booting which OS you want to boot. So far has worked very well. When in Ubuntu have complete access to the XP side files and folders and the ability to transfer - when in XP, other than access to the file created in XP (mine I directed to install on partion E) no equal access to Ubuntu, at least none I've found.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!