1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing Video Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Magee, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

I just got my new video card(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814140060), and I am going to install it later. I was wondering if anybody could add anything to this: http://www.pcmech.com/show/video/89/ or if this is even a good write up to go off of? It will be a first for me, and I just don't want to screw anything up. If somebody with experience could help me out, that would be great. Thanks.

Oh, here are my specs: AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz, 1GB RAM. ASUS A7N266-VM mobo.

2. xtreampb

xtreampb

make sure that you plug the card into the right slot. If i am looking at the right pic then it should be the uppermost slot above the white(PCI) slots. and to answer your question that is somthing you can follow

3. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

yeah, got that. Its going in the AGP slot, which is the same slot I'm taking my old card from. Thanks.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

This will be pretty straight forward. The board you have will accommodate this card easily however the board is AGP 4X only so don't expect it to run at 8X. There are no molex cable attachments so that's easy. The only thing I noticed on the article that it would be a good idea to remove the old drivers. It's not a good idea it's a great idea. It would also be a good idea to download the newest drivers before starting the swap so if the old drivers on the disk don't work you'll have the new ones just in case.

When you do the uninstall also go to Add/Remove programs and if there's an Nvidia entry remove it too.

5. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

Thats all? I'm going to need more help than that people. :confused: :D

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

Just saw you're last reply. You say it has an old card in the AGP slot? You weren't using the on-board graphics with that mobo?

7. xtreampb

xtreampb

no prob

8. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

So, how exactly do I go about unistalling the drivers? Also, you say to install the drivers for the new card before I do the install??

9. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

Not exactly sure what you mean by that?

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

That mobo had on-board or integrated graphics. When you first posted I assumed that's what you were running before this "first" card. That's why I assumed it would be Nvidia that you'd be looking for in Add/Remove since it would be Integrated GeForce 2 GPU video.

If you already have another card in the slot then it may be ATI or Nvidia and you really must remove any ATI drivers and software installed and still a great idea to remove Nvidia.

11. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

Yeah, I was just using whatever came with the mobo. This is the first card I've ever bought.

12. griffinspc

griffinspc

Then there shouldn't be any card in the slot currently. Above you said, "Its going in the AGP slot, which is the same slot I'm taking my old card from."

13. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee Thread Starter

Yeah, there is a card in there alright. All of the pci slots are empty, but the AGP slot has my video card in it. Is that a bad thing?

14. griffinspc

griffinspc

To uninstall open device manager

Then right click on the display adapter entry and choose uninstall (Sorry, that second thumb was supposed to show the right click menu which has uninstall listed at the top)

Attached Files:

15. griffinspc

griffinspc

Not bad, just confusing. Did you buy the machine from someone or have it built? What is the make and model otherwise?

If it has a card in it already I'd like to know if your new card is an improvement before you take the trouble to uninstall the old one. I assumed because of the mobo that it was probably used without a card.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice