1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing Vista on a Different Hard Drive (Switching main drive?)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kazm87, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kazm87

Kazm87 Thread Starter

I'm currently running Windows Vista 64 bit. My hard drive setup is as follows:

C: 70 GB Raptor 1. (The OS drive... System Boot, Page Files, Programs, etc.)
    D: 70 GB Raptor 2. (Music, Photos, a few programs.)
    E: 500 GB HDD 1. (Empty)
    F: 500 GB HDD 2. (Empty)

I would like to do the following...

C: 500 GB HDD 1: (OS drive... System Boot, Pages Files, Programs, etc.)
    D: 500 GB HDD 2: (Extra storage)
    E: 70 GB Raptor 1: (Music Files)
    F: 70 GB Raptor 2: (Picture Files)

What I'd like to do is make one of the 500 GB HDDs the C drive, and reinstall my Vista onto it, and reformat the 70 GB Raptor that my OS is currently on. I've backed everything up that I need to, and I've said my goodbyes to anything I can stand to lose. I just need to know what steps I would need to take to be able to accomplish this. If anyone could help me with that, it'd be much appreciated.

ADD: Just to clarify, I DO have the original OEM disc of the version of Vista that is installed on this comp.
    ADD: Also, they are SATA drives.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Use a program like Acronis to make a full disk image of the Raptor C drive, then restore that image to one of the 500 gig drives, then put the 500 gig drive where the C raptor is, boot into the new 500 gig drive and away you go. Now you can format and partition the other drives the way you want.

No need to reinstall and lose all your settings and customizations. Faster and easier this way.

I am told their free trial download is fully functional for 15 days.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

3. Kazm87

Kazm87 Thread Starter

I'd much rather actually go through the hassle as weird as that sounds. I'd feel better knowing everything was as it should be.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Then all you have to do is connect the 500 gig drive to sata 0 on the motherboard, disconnect all the other drives for now, Install Vista, then re-connect the other hard drives, use disk management to delete partition and format the old raptor that had the old OS, use it for storage.

5. Kazm87

Kazm87 Thread Starter

It wouldn't cause any problems to have two version of Vista installed until the drive is formatted? That was my main concern.

Also, would I need to change jumpers?

(And as a side justifyaknow kinda thing, do you know if I'd need to call Microsoft to authorize the reinstall?)

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Not as long as you install the new OS with the other drives disconnected. Be sure the 500gig is connected to the same place the current raptor with the OS.

Sata drives require No jumper settings. It is where you connect the OS drive to the motherboard that is important.

7. Kazm87

Kazm87 Thread Starter

Thank you, Mumbodog. I've (finally) gotten Vista installed. Downloading updates right now, and then I'm going to put my memory back in, reinstall the hard drives, and format them.

For anyone who stumbles across this, to do a fresh install of Vista, without SP1, make sure you have LESS THAN 3 gigs of ram installed. If you have more, you'll get a blue screen of Fail with a stop error and won't be able to boot.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You are welcome.

Welcome to TSG forums

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/877892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice