1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: installing vista on a hard drive then...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hellsscope, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hellsscope

Hellsscope Thread Starter

putting the hard drive back into my other computer.

I have 2 computers one of them a tiny peice of plastic broke off the outside edge of my primary ide connector and nothing will plug-in to it (no pins are broken or bent just a peice of plastic off the edge broke QQ) there for I can only have my HD plugged in and not my cd drives...now I am getting a dx10 video card and I have my vista upgrade cd...

So my question is, can I take my HD out of my main computer put it in my old computer, upgrade the OS to vista, then put it back into my main computer.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I don't understand how that matters to your question.
    Only if the computers are identical. That is an absolute must and you cannot get around it.

3. Hellsscope

It was relevant because only vista/7 supports DX 10, and they aren't identical ones a dell 4550 and the other is a sony vaio

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is this just the ide cable that broke? If so, just buy a new one. They are very cheap and available at newegg or any computer store.

Next you posted upgrade. In-place upgrades are problematic at best. A clean install of the os is the best way to go.

The type of video card is irrelevant to the question being asked; ie can you install your drive in another computer and then install vista. The answer has already been given; no.

5. Hellsscope

I wasn't asking anything about the video card I was explaining why I needed to know if I could do it because you need vista for dx10.

Also it's the vista upgrade CD, won't let me do clean install, even from bios says "this is an upgrade only product key"

Also thanks I figured I couldn't because of hash codes being different due to different hardware, I was making sure.

No it's not the ide cable that's broken, it's the IDE port on the mobo, it looks like this

----------------------------------
    |___________________ <---ghetto image of the port lol, basically all the pins are intact just the piece of plastic on the right side broke off, had no connectors on it at all, but nothing will plug-in to that port anymore.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There is no plastic associated with a 40-pin IDE cable connector on the motherboard that have any effect on whether an IDE cable will connect to the board. There have been millions of boards manufactured that have no plastic around them at all, just the bare pins, two rows of twenty each.

There are either some bent pins or possibly a foreign object wedged in the way. Bent pins can be straightened--very carefully. If it turns out there are no bent pins, you could have a bad/damaged cable or you are using the wrong orientation. IDE cables fit only one way.

7. Hellsscope

Fixed it, had to use a tiny screw driver to straighten pins (yes I made sure I wasn't or the screwdriver staticly charged) got it working cd drives hooked back up installed vista atm, no need for hd swapping which was obviously impossible thanks for the responses guys.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW you CAN do a clean install with the upgrade dvd. IMO a clean install is a much better way to go.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

That is an opinion held by nearly all experienced techs.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually did an in-place upgrade on my wife's system vista enterprise>win7 enterprise. Worked OK for a little while until the video driver was updated then no wireless network connection. After spending about 2hr trying to get it to work, I got mad and did a clean install of win7. No problems at all.

11. Hellsscope

Yeah it won't let me though, says CD key is for upgrade from XP sp2 or higher only, worked a couple of times when I first bought vista, but now it doesn't.

Funny thing is this crappy old computers score is really low compared to my other really crappy old computer.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a very simple process. To clean install with the upgrade media;
    1 Boot the computer with the install dvd. Do not start from within windows.
    2 After setup loads files and you get the install now box, click install now.
    3 The next screen is where you enter your key. Do not do this; just skip this part. Setup will continue
    4 Once done with the install, insert your vista upgrade dvd and select upgrade.
    5 As the upgrade progresses, you now enter your upgrade key and activate windows

Done.

13. Hellsscope

Thats what I did, worked the first couple of times but now m$ is like lolno sucks too cuz my 160g hd went down to 5gigs with the upgrade install, thank god for my 1tb external xD

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice