1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing Windows from USB CD drive, get inaccessible boot device error...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brackenan, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brackenan

brackenan Thread Starter

This may seem stupid, but I have an old HP t5500 Thin-Client which I have altered and hooked up an IDE hard drive to. The BIOS detects the HD just fine, and I can install any version of linux without fail from the external cd drive. The challenge for me is to install Windows 2000/XP. Every time I try to boot from the windows disk, it loads the drivers, then before it loads the partition screen, it BSODs on me and gives an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. From what I've read, I traced it to the USB drivers loading too late in the setup process for it to continue loading from the USB CD drive.

I've even tried hooking an IDE cd drive directly to the motherboard but it refuses to boot from it, and there's no way to manually select the boot device by pressing any F(1-12) key.

Settings are configured correctly in the BIOS to boot from the Flash RAM (or in this case, any IDE drive), and I do have USB booting capability.

What I want is to install from my USB CD drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

2. brackenan

brackenan Thread Starter

Also, I've been able to do this before, so I know it can work. Installed XP to same kind of thinclient once before using same devices, but could never do it again. Must have got lucky, somehow.

3. sonexpc

sonexpc

Can you try to copy the i386 directory to C Driver and install from the Hard Drive..

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you trying to install to the IDE drive? It appears the drive needs a driver. How is it interfaced?

Since that machine is intended for Windows CE, it is very unlikely that drivers will exist for XP for many if not most of its hardware. It also has only 128 MB's of RAM, only 112 usable less whatever is devoted to graphics.

5. monckywrench

monckywrench

The Magic Jack Support forums, of all places, are the best resource for thin clients I've found so far.

6. brackenan

brackenan Thread Starter

The first time I got this to work, I was shocked to see that I didn't need to install a single driver. Windows picked up everything. I also upgraded the RAM to 256mb. It's currently in use now as my printer and Magic Jack Server lol! The IDE drive is hooked up via IDE.

I got lucky the first time, not sure why it worked, but it did. As far as drivers for the HDD that could be the ticket tho I have no idea why it would need drivers, as its an old 10gb WD Caviar.

As far as installing directly from the hard drive, that's an interesting idea... But how does that work? You mean hook up another drive or partition the the one I'm using?

7. brackenan

brackenan Thread Starter

I finally figured out a way to do it. Use a USB floppy drive. Put smartdrv.exe onto a Windows 98 boot disk and boot computer with floppy. Since I have the HD and CD drive both hooked up via IDE, boot 98 with CD Rom support. Create DOS partition on the HD and format to FAT32. Cd to the CD ROM, where your XP/2000 disk is. Type smartdrv twice, then cd to the i386 d irectory. Type winnt. Setup will start, hit enter. It copies files to HD, then boots into the partition setup. Accept default and hit enter. You will be prompted to change partition to NTFS. Do it. Then it will install as normal. Done. Cheers and thanks guys! :)

8. brackenan

brackenan Thread Starter

Thanks for giving me the idea for the workaround!!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice