1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing windows xp on a dell optiplex gx260

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xmann922, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

I got this system from a freind it is a dell ( i know ) optiplex Gx260 1.8 p 4 they had windows pirated and installed the wga so it locked out i put three different copys of xp in drive to no ovail it will not boot to disk put win 2000 in same i had my mac os leopard start to run and it stops in the middle so that tells me the drive is good i changed the boot sequence to run from usb and tryed copying xp to a usb drive no way it says operating system not found hit f1or f2 so i hit f12 to do it that way and i pick ide cd rom drive and still it says hit f1 or f2 so is there any one that can help me the guys at dell are rude and there web site was no help

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Are you using the Dell Reinstallation cd? . . Did you delete all the partitions and then create new one(s) prior to installing?

4. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

i have a legit copy of windows thank you and thats the problem you can not even get the disk to boot up to get to the formating part

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did you enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM.

6. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

yes becausei can actually get my mac leopard to start to go because i was going to format useing that disk but none of my windows disk are booting up

7. speed_hog

speed_hog

Duuuude that is really weird for sure and GRRRRRRRR fits in there too...
    do you have another PC that you can download power ISO;
    http://www.poweriso.com/download.htm
    and try this test on?
    install it and stick the install disc's in and look in Power ISO and see if it says if they are bootable???

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/745107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice