1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing Windows XP on an External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob Parks, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Hello,

I am not computer literate so this question and others that might follow may seem rather dumb.

Currently I have four hard drives in my box. when my drive 0 (C) failed it took five days, there was a weekend, before things were repaired. I am looking for a work around to avoid this problem in the future.

I just purchased an external hard drive. Is it possible to make this a bootable drive so if my C fails again I will have an operable, but slow, computer?

If it is possible I will have further questions. Thank you for your help.

Bob

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nope, Windows XP cannot boot from a USB connected drive.

However you can clone the internal drive or create a backup image of the drive onto an external drive and then restore that image onto a replacement drive. Or if you do an exact clone you can remove the hard drive from the external and install it in place of the internal.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Hello Triple6

I use voice recognition software because I have Parkinson's disease and evidently last night when I sent, or thought I did, a message thanking you for your prompt response it didn't work. So thank you.

I have another question. Does Windows require the operating system, I guess you would call it the bootable stuff, to be on drive 0? Speaking hypothetically, on my new external drive I have an image of my C drive which is very fortunate because the drive failed mechanically a few minutes ago. Knowing I will lose all of the data on my drive 1 I restore the image onto the D drive. If I now reboot will Windows recognize that the operating system is on drive D?

Thank you

Bob

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you restored a complete image of the drive and you've disconnected the previous failed drive then you should be able to boot off the old D drive, which will now become the new C drive.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Thank you again Triple6

The odds are that I will never have to use this knowledge but I certainly appreciate your laying out a plan of action for me. Or as you say in Canada "Eh."

Be well

Bob

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice