1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Installing WinXP on new HD w/o XP CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ashika, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Here's the problem: I've checked everywhere but I can't find a copy of a full winXp CD. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition and I've got the 25 digit product key sticker on the comp. I figured I could use that key to d/l a full copy from some Microsoft site but couldn't find anything.

I recently bought a new HD and want to use a new XP installation because I want to start anew and don't want any contact with the old HD for fear of viruses or mal/spyware transferring over somehow. Is there anyway to do this without buying a new copy of win XP?

2. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi there -

If you purchased the system with the OS OEM license, then technically you own that copy of the license for the OS that is on your first hard drive/system.

Did the system you have come with "installation" or "restore" CDs? They will many times have the OS bundled on them to use for restoring purposes. If you are replacing your HDD, then you would just need the restore CDs to get your system restored (including the OS.) This brings it back to "factory state" (the way it was when you got it brand new.)

Otherwise, I'm afraid you may be out of luck. You would be best to contact Microsoft to obtain a new license. It is illegal to install more than one copy of the OS onto more than just one system.

Hope that helps. :)

3. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Couldn't find any OS disks. I'll just get a new copy >_<

Guess this is solved...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!