1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Insufficient privileges to install Adobe flash although I have admin privileg

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Sarabas, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sarabas

Sarabas Thread Starter

Sysinfo: Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4862 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 465312 MB, Free - 286204 MB; D: Total - 11625 MB, Free - 1546 MB; K: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 36069 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, VIOLA
    Antivirus: UnThreat AntiVirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have been trying to install Adobe Flash Player, and have administrative privileges. I keep getting the message that I have insufficient permissions. I have created a new admin user, and that doesn't work. I have right clicked on the file and said to install as administrator...no good. I have disabled all my virus programs and uninstalled I-Tunes. I don't know what else to do, and it is so annoying that I keep getting the "Flashplayer has stopped working" error message over and over whenever I open Foxfire or IE. Please help!

2. pip22

pip22

Have you tried uninstalling Flash Player completely so you can install it from scratch rather than updating it?

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  4. Sarabas

Sarabas Thread Starter

Yes, I have uninstalled the old Flash Player several times, rebooted, and tried to install. And I do have done a disc check. I defrag regularly and clean out my caches regularly as well.

I have begun receiving a message today that DEP (Data Execution Prevention) has shut down the Flashplayer. I tried to turn off the DEP for Flashplayer, but was given the message that it could not be turned off for this program. It seems I cannot run Flashplayer because the DEP won't allow it, but that the DEP cannot be turned off to run Flashplayer. Any thoughts?

5. Sarabas

Sarabas Thread Starter

The actual message I'm receiving for being unable to install flashplayer is:

A required file (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\flashplayer.xpt:5) could not be written due to insufficient permissions.

I've tried to install an earlier version of flashplayer, but cannot do this either. I'm kinda thinking this has to do with the DEP, which I guess is a recent MS update. I cannot see where to turn off the DEP, if I can do it at all. I've tried putting in the name of the file under Macromed\Flash, but it would not accept the ":" in the name.

Please help.

6. Sarabas

Sarabas Thread Starter

OK, after playing with it for days, I finally figured out that if I uninstall UnThreat antivirus instead of disabling it, I was able to get the flashplayer to install. It remains to be seen if it works after I reinstall Unthreat...if it doesn't work, I will try another antivirus program like AVG.

7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Try Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast free edition. Highly recommended here:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice