1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Integrated video not working with new graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by emurph, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emurph

emurph Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just installed a nvidia GeForce 8400GS graphics card with VGA and DVI ports in a year old eMachines pc with Windows 7 and an AMD athalon II processor. The monitor connected to the VGA port on the graphics card works beautifully. Then I tried to install a second monitor through the original on board VGA port, but it is no longer sending a signal now that the new graphics card is installed. It seems that windows is detecting a second VGA device when I try to change the display settings but the monitor gets no signal. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Erin

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It may be a setting that needs to be changed in the BIOS. On some Motherboards the IGP is automatically disabled when a descrete Video Card is detected.

3. DariusSupport

DariusSupport

the video card you put in will probably have two outgoing ports on it and that is where you have to hook up the second monitor. the on board video is automatically shut off when a video card is put in.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi emurph

I have merged your posts to this thread.
    Please do not create duplicate threads, continue replies in this thread for this issue.
    Thank you :)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. emurph

emurph Thread Starter

Thanks - I ended up just getting a DVI cable so I could connect both monitors to the graphics card.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That would be an even better solution (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice