1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intel® Core™ i3-4130 dual core computer did i buy a lemon?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

This is what i bought.
    I was given advice to buy a computer with a quad core processor. A quad core computer would be an upgrade to the dual core computer i have been using.

I bought a computer and now notice i bought a dual core computer. For some reason i thought a i-3 processor would be a quad processor.
    Should i return it and seek out a quad core computer?

$425
    HP Pavilion 500-281
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64
    Intel® Core™ i3-4130 with Intel HD Graphics 4400 (3.4 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
    4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (1 x 4 GB)

This is my rating on a cpu bench mark website page. I have no idea if it is good or bad or average or above average rating.
    I may be wrong=it seems the cpu is not all that great when compared to other 1-3-4130 ratings at cpu benchmark

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/sigImage.php?id=30403021853

2. GripS

GripS

If this is a system for basic general use, its *OK*. What did you have before and what do you plan on doing with it?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's not a lemon, a lemon would imply that it's faulty and it's not. What you bought was just not what you wanted.

No Core i3's are quad core, some do have HyperThreading though to emulate additional cores and give a small boost in performance; the i3-4130 does have HyperThreading so it can do 4 threads. If you want a quad core than you'd need to move up to a more expensive i5 or i7 but you'd have to check the specs on them as they come in 2, 4, and 6 core versions with some also supporting HyperThreading to double the thread count.

Do you really need a quad core processor? The i3's are pretty fast for most task unless you are gamer, designer, or media creator. As asked above, what did you have before and what do you intend to use it for?

As for benchmarks, well they are not an end all and most are more of a synthetic result as opposed to real world performance. A pre-built big box OEM system like an HP or Acer will not necessarily score as high as a well built custom system. That also appears to be the score for the whole system as opposed to just the CPU, as a whole system it's an entry level system and the price tags reflects that.

4. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

thanks for posting

I am likely going to return this computer i bought 5 days ago.
    the i3-4130 processor seemed like it was not preforming as good as other i3-4130 processors based on a website's cpu analysis of my computer [ in few words, i likely do not know what i am talking about and likely did not understand the analysis]

However.

I am returning this computer because i got spooked on the last computer i bought,; a 2011year Acer that lasted less than 2 years. I had a thread on that computer junkbox nightmare.That computer hinted in the first year with problems and i ignored them and this new computer is hinting at issues
    [ I have 4 other older computers, a 3.1, a win95,a win98,a xp, all those computers are still working fine today].

3 times in 3 days i lost connection to the Internet while on this new computer. the computer is connected to a router with another older computer and that computer was still on line. As i was surfing on the net with this computer, i heard internal noises, like metal tinkering in a tin can noise.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If I had bought that HP desktop, I would've added another 4 GB module to its empty memory slot so it can run with 8 GB(4 GB X 2) of RAM.

I don't see much point in having a 64-bit version of Windows if you're not going to use more than 4 GB of RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------

6. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1135980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice