1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zooll, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zooll

Zooll Thread Starter

Hello TSG Community,

I'm facing rather a serious problem with a Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop.
    It runs on freshly installed Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) with most drivers installed especially those for internet connections and that's where the problem begins.
    For some unknown to me reason my Wireless adapter (that's the proper term I guess) which I believe is Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG is simply not listed in device manager.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out as I have run out of ideas, after all the driver re-installs made to be honest I spend like 5 hours trying to figure out how to fix it. Ask questions if required :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    any reason you are not on SP3 ?

can we see a device manager screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Manager
    Post back the results in device manager
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the screen shot and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

how to access device manager for different windows versions
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen, menu on the left hand side

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

if the above does not work then -

Windows 7 or Vista
    Click on the Start Orb > In the Start Search box type > device manager and then press enter
    or
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

Windows 8
    If you happen to be using a keyboard with Windows 8, the quickest way to open Device Manager is via its shortcut on the Power User Menu, accessible by pressing the WINDOW and the X keys together.
    If on a touch screen - have a read here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/device-manager-windows-8.htm

once you are in device manager then

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    ----
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. Zooll

Zooll Thread Starter

The reason why OS is still on SP2 is that my installation disk contains it and it's a freshly installed OS like I have mentioned in first post.
    As for Device Manager I have to apology for the language it's displayed in (Polish)
    [​IMG]

But as you can see wireless adapter is not shown there.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

5. Zooll

Zooll Thread Starter

Ok so I tried the driver alone, when run it displays a wifi symbol in the center of screen with dots running around after that it does nothing. I actually waited few minutes to see if anything else happens. Device still not shown in the manager.
    Now gonna try the one with software and driver together.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Software was installed, from its interface I have accessed troubleshooting section, in history it shows me that no driver for wireless adapter has been installed in my system.

Any other suggestions/tips/steps?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is there an "other" or "unknown" driver-less device that could be the wireless? If not check in the BIOS (Setup) to see if it somehow became disabled there. Then, if the wireless adapter is easily accessible through a cover on the laptop bottom remove and firmly and carefully reinsert it several times to take care of any looseness or corrosion.

7. Zooll

Zooll Thread Starter

No unknown devices present, already tried reinserting several times non of those worked.

After all I decided to get my workaround set up that is connecting that faulty laptop to another one by cable where as the 2nd one is connected with a router by it's own wireless, simply saying I just turned that other laptop to a router.

As final note I'm gonna say that it might be that the wireless adapter has served his days and went on retirement.
    Also since my workaround works fine I'll mark this thread as solved.

Thanks for all the help and responses given.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice