1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intel beep codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philtivvy, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a computer with an Intel DG845 motherboard.
    This morning it beeped at me 3 times but wouldf not boot up.
    The intel website says this code signifies a base 64k memory failure and suggests cleaning and reseating the memory.
    All this is fair enough but I dont know what the "base 64 memory" is, I have two DIMM slots with I think 1Gb memory but I would not know where to look for this much smaller memory.
    Can anyone help please
    regards
    phil

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Base 64 memory is the first 64KB of memory it is not another memory stick.

Clean and reset the memory. If the problem continues build a CD of floppy drive with Memtest 86+, boot the machine with the Memtest diagnostic program and let it make a minimum of 4 full passes on each stick of memory.

If Memtest comes up with any errors on either stick of memory they may need to be replaced.

If Memtest discovers a considerable amount of errors, before you change memory examine the capacitors on the motherboard very carefully and see if you have any with swollen or bulging tops, or any leaking fluid. Sometimes bad motherboard capacitors will mimick defective memory.

3. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi win2kpro
    It has been a long time but once again you personally have come to my aid like a knight in shining armour, where do you keep your white stetson?
    thank you.
    regards
    phil

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're welcome, hope it's just a stick of memory bad rather than the board.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/874597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice