1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intel i3 - i5 - i7 Difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bernardo, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

I just bought a motherboard that says it will support all 3 of these:

http://www.frys.com/product/6214500

A few months ago, I picked up a heat sink that said Core i7. I assumed that whatever cpu/board combo I went with, I would be able to use this.........but, now I am wondering, as the heatsink reads socket 1366 on the front, not socket 1156 like the CPU :( Am I correct in assuming that I won't be able to use this heatsink?

Here is a link to the heatsink:

http://www.frys.com/product/5936944?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are confusing core and socket. The i7 is mfg in both socket 1366 and 1156.

3. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Ah, ok, thanks. So, in any event, with my socket 1156 mobo, I wouldn't be able to use this heatsink anyway, correct?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The heatsink you linked to description says socket 1366 and socket 775 (in the Intel line).

5. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Correct. I guess months ago, I assumed that as long as it mentioned i7, I would be able to use it with any mobo that would accept that cpu. I wasn't aware that they were going to be available in 1156 and 1366 :( oh well. I only paid $4.99 after rebate for the heatsink. I'll find another use for it. I have a 775 running in one system....it's bound to need a new fan at some point :D

Thank you both for your assistance :)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I have had very good luck with arctic freezer hsf. Here is one that will work with just about any cpu.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

I use an arctic freezer pro64 on my own system and it keeps my overclocked amd 940 running at around 30~35C and under prime95 100% load to around 55C.

7. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Thanks again. I'll keep that in mind. Funny though how things are priced. I only spent $59.15 (plus tax of course) for the i3 cpu :D

Looks like a fan came with it, although most often, I haven't heard good things about the stock fans :)

Now, to put it all together and see if it works :D I'm running a P4 2.4 right now :eek: so, it'll be nice to test this puppy!!!!

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is nothing wrong with the intel hsf. Unless you plan on doing hard core overclocking [not really something anyone would do when buying a budget cpu] they do a decent job.

9. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

No overclocking here. Budget cpu? :eek: I thought I was upgrading :p

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The i3 IS the budget line of cpu. The i5 is the mainstream line of cpu and the i7 is the enthusiast line of the cpu. Each of the models; ie i3, i5, and i7 have various faster and slower variants. If you look at the different models, the i3s have 4meg of cache and the i5s will have 8meg of cache or they may have only 4meg with a faster clock speed.

It probably is an upgrade from what you have now however the i3s are intel's lowest price ie budget line of cpu.

11. Compiler

Compiler

This is why I'll be sticking with AMD. Even those with AMD systems made over a year ago with Socket AM2+ or AM3 can use a 6-core AMD CPU.

But eventually AMD will need to come out with a new socket to handle 8~12core CPUs... Not sure if an 8core can work with AM3.

12. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Wow :eek: You are scaring me :eek: it "probably" is an upgrade???? :( I hope that it's a very big upgrade :(

I haven't opened and installed it yet. I have 15 days (well, counting from Friday) to return it and upgrade to something else. Do you have a better suggestion? Should I go with something else????

13. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

I know absolutely NOTHING about AMD :( except their stock price :D

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I built my amd system approx 14 months ago and it still runs great [amd 940 overclocked to 3.4 with a gigabyte 790 chipset board]

I have both intel and amd systems here and I have to say I prefer my amd 940 over the intels. IMO amd gives you more "Bang for the buck"

15. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah, its sad about people don't know much about AMD, they would have gotten a lot more market share during the AMD-XP~939 era since the entire P4/Netburst design was so flawed. But intel has the marketing which helps them sell very slow computers against faster AMD systems.

The Intel i3~7 are good chips... but like anything else, it depends on what you get and how much you pay for it. But AMD owns the $50~110 CPU range... and even AMD's top end $175 CPUs are only a bit slower (but sometimes as fast) as Intels $600~900 CPUs. It depends on what software you use.

$60 for an i3? The i3-530 usually goes for $120.... sounds like you got a steal on that i3. Yes, while its a bottom end i3 CPU, it'll easily destroy any P4. Then again, so will any $50 AMD cpu.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice