1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intel PROSet Wireless cannot input password Verizon Jetpack

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mckern, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mckern

mckern Thread Starter

Unable to connect Dell Laptop to Verizon Jetpack 890L using Intel PROSet Wireless on the laptop. I can see the 890L network on the list of available networks. When I click to connect, PROSet prompts for a password. When I enter the password, which includes both letters and numbers as set by the manufacturer, PROSet will accept the keystrokes for numbers but will not accept the keystrokes for letters. When I press a key to enter a letter in the password box, no letter is entered.

A previous thread from August 2012, now closed (posted by SASSYFRAS on 8/10/2012 and answered by TERRYNET) described the same problem. TERRYNET recommended updating the driver on the laptop. I did that, installing driver version 12.4.3.11 obtained from the Dell site. But new driver did not solve the problem.

My home WIFI network also uses WPA2 security with a password that includes both letters and numbers, and I had no problem entering the password when I set it up years ago.

Verizon JetPack 890L uses WPA2 security.

Laptop is Dell Lattitude D630 with Win XP Pro SP3.

2. mckern

mckern Thread Starter

More Info. I am successfully able to connect a tablet (Google Nexus 7) and smart phone (Blackberry) to the Jetpack using the alphanumeric password. The Jetpack is delivering internet access via WiFi to those two devices. Only problem has been with the Dell Laptop using Intel PROSet.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it will accept no letters I'm completely stumped.

If it will accept abcdef (HEX digits) maybe it is not recognizing WPA2 and thinks it's WEP. I'd try with no encryption and then try WPA-PSK.

4. mckern

mckern Thread Starter

Thank you, TerryNet, for quick reply. Since submitting the post, I have seen several users report the same problem with different routers. So it appears to be a PROSet issue, not a Verizon JetPack problem.

The letters that PROSet was not accepting were "a" and "b" - lower case. Those letters were in the manufacturer-set password. i did not try any others.

I was able to get the password entered, although I cannot retrace the exact process. It involved selecting the "Advanced" button on the same PROSet screen that prompts for the network password. The advanced option prompts for more info about the network and connection, and also prompts for the network password from a different screen. This other screen accepted the alphanumeric password and established the network profile. Once the profile was established, I have had no problem connecting and disconnecting.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad you got it working, and thanks for posting the solution. :) Proset must have changed considerably since I last used it.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice