1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intell E6600 Core Voltage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TeeJayP, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TeeJayP

TeeJayP Thread Starter

I have an Intel E6600 Processor in a an Intel D975XBX mobo. After it began failing to reboot during restart after extended sessions, I installed and ran the Intel Desktop Utility, (better late than never) and it complained about the CPU temperature and the CPU
    core voltage. The temperature problem turned out to be that the CPU cooling fan was
    improperly installed such that one side of its base was resting on some upright capacitors instead of making a good seating on the CPU. Glad I found it. After seating the heat sink correctly the CPU temperature was significantly reduced, (Duh); and the temperature warning and reboot problem both stopped.
    The original CPU Core voltage complaint said it is 1.2v, but should be 1.5V. After upgrading the Intel Desktop Utility this warning also cleared but all that really happened was the new utility called 1.2v an acceptable voltage although the "green" range goes to over 1.6V. What should my core voltage be; 1.2v or 1.5v and if I increase it in CMOS to 1.5v would I get a performance improvement?

2. WarZard

WarZard

Stock voltage is 1.3250v, not 1.2 nor 1.5. I'm fairly certain you might even damage your CPU if you push it to 1.6...

I'm reading 1.3250 on my E6600 anyway. Check Intel's website if you are at all uncertain.

'War

3. TeeJayP

TeeJayP Thread Starter

The Intel specification for the E6600 processor cpu core voltage is 0.850 V to 1.3525Volts. The target voltage for my monitoring utility is 1.212v (not 1.2 as I approximated). The previous Intel Desktop Monitoring App was indeed using a target voltage of 1.515v (not 1.5) but, being as the upgraded tool targets 1.212V, I assume this was an error of the previous Desktop Monitor. So it appears as if I could safely increase my core voltage to 1.3525V.

What does concern me is my idle CPU temperature is about 57dC and it does increase to
    about 60dC during heavy use. Will the increased core voltage only worsen this situation?
    Probably, seems reasonable. I will kick the core voltage up to 1.3525 and monitor the temperature. Doesnt the idle temperature of 57dC seem a little warm in the first place?
    Could someone with a similar system tell me what their CPU temperature is? When I determine what the increased core voltage does to the CPU temperature I will post that information and close the thread.

Thank you for the feedback.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

An idle temp of 57c is too high for an E6600, since the thermal spec is 60.1c.

What is the sSpec number for your processor? What is your BIOS version? What is the thermal design of your case, eg. size and number of intake fans, size and number of exhaust fans, and does your case have an airguide?

5. TeeJayP

TeeJayP Thread Starter

Upon further investigation: CPU core voltage at 1.212v is as it should be in this MB.
    Sspec for the processor? I purchased an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz/ 4MB Cache/1066Mhz FSB/ Sock775. XP Syinfo calls it an x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 ...2400Mhz.

Bios is Intel BX97510J.86A.1479.2007.0403.1737.

Case is 4u Rackmount with less than adequate vertical air flow. CPU temp is about 51dC with the lid off and 57 with the lid on. These are idle temperatures which will quickly increase by 5 or 6 degrees under heavy use. My thermal alarm trips at 68dC and I can do this in the summer if I do not provide additional ventilation, i,.e; let an external fan blow on it. Being as space a problem when trying to beef up the cooling fan, I have been considering liquid cooling. I've been looking at some. Does anyone have experience with liquid cooling systems? Would appreciate some founded knowledge on this subject.

6. TeeJayP

TeeJayP Thread Starter

Ignorance can be remedied. Contempt before investigation cannot.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!