Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: interesting question

812 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  valis 
#1 ·
one of the mucky-mucks got a new laptop today, imaged it, installed his custom apps, copied over his profile, installed all necessary software for his various apps, and the only problem I am having is that he wants his custom dictionary imported. Now, I know that with word it's normal.dot; I know this as I tend to have most of my office suite products pretty customized and back up the toolbars rather frequently, as I don't feel like re-adding a few thousand entries into the custom dictionary.

My question, however, is is there a place where office stores ALL of the custom dictionary stuff, as when he opens outlook all his custom entries are popping up in spell checker, and he understandably doesn't want to rebuild that.

I had thought that by bringing over his profile it would solve that issue, or rather had assumed it, as nobody has ever voiced that question before in 5 years of doing this.

So is there a central repository that office dumps stuff in outside the profile that I need to bring up to his new machine?

tia,

v

See less See more
#6 ·
well, I moved that over, and it's not showing words (like the company name, for instance) as a recognized name. He had some old profiles on the machine, has had it for 3 years, we've migrated domains at least once during that, so I will check the older profiles and see if I copied them over or not.

Thanks, will let you know,

v

#8 ·
firefytr said:
You moved the file, or registered the dictionary? You must do both.

Btw, which app are you talking about here? Word, right?
1. I copied the profile. I didn't move a thing from his office folder.

2. All of them. Well, all the office suite, anyhow. :)

#9 ·
custom.dic was just where cherry pie said it would be; marking as solved, thanks to all.

Curious as to why, when I copied his profile over, that didn't copy. It was in his active profile on his old machine, just copied that up, works like a top. Odd.

Windows == job security. :D

#10 ·
LOL!

I don't believe the custom.dic would be considered part of the profile, so it wouldn't carry over. I've never done that to a windows user, so I'm not too sure. I wonder how add-ins handle there as well.. I would assume the same way. ??

#11 ·
well, again, what's weird about it is I had his old machine in safe mode, and that enables you to copy over the ntuser.dat file, which will reproduce their desktop seamlessly, so the user is looking on the new what they were looking at on the old. But I copied over the *entire* profile, and it's just odd that that particular file didn't populate itself.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed office AFTER I had copied over the profile, and it overwrote itself. But I've done this a few thousand times, and never had that question pop up.

Most likely, people just thought it was gone, time to recreate it. Now I at least learned something. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.