1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intermitant Monitor Signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charlton3k, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlton3k

charlton3k Thread Starter

Hey, first of all hi, new to this forum, but not them in general :p

My first question would be about my monitor, as the title sugests :p
    Alot of times when i turn on my computer, my monitor jsut says no signal, a guess its my motherboard, but i think it may be my graphics card, as it started happenin when i put it in.
    The weird thign is, the only way to make it work is to actually unplug my base unit and plug it back in, works everytime.

So you gyus think it is my motherboard? I am getting a new one anyway, cos i wanna get a bigger processor, but i don't want it to be my graphics card as ill have to get a new one.

Thanks guys!

2. pshnfry

pshnfry

Are you using DVI or anologue cable?

3. charlton3k

Yeah sorry its analogue, nearly 2 years old.

4. pshnfry

pshnfry

I've seen more than a few people plug both in when available! Not the issue here.

Has the monitor got a seperate power supply or plugs straight into mains?

5. charlton3k

Oh lol, it does have a power supply which goes striaght into mains.

6. pshnfry

pshnfry

PSU is separate from the monitor. And what is it you unplug and replug - the low voltage input to the monitor or the signal cable?

7. charlton3k

No, i don't unplug anything on the monitor, i unplug the base units PSU.
    Even if the monitor is stilll switched on, when i plug back in the base unit and turn it on, it shows up fine, weird lol.

8. charlton3k

Grr it keeps doing it :p

9. pshnfry

pshnfry

So just to confirm, when you turn on the computer the monitor shows no signal. If you turn off the computer and unplug the computers PSU from the mains and then reconnect, turn the computer back on the "no signal" message is gone and all boots up normally?

And this started happening after you fitted the new graphics card? The 6600GT showing in your computer specs?

What are the details on the computers power supply. I would suspect this before motherboard if the train of events above is correct. If you can access another PSU and swap it in to see if the problem goes away, or swap out the video card for one without the molex power plug for supplementing power. What was the old graphics card?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

6600 should not take a molex plug for power however it does sound like your psu has inadequate power and you are just barely booting by resetting it.

11. charlton3k

yeah thats what happens
    i got a new psu, 450w and it does the same
    im getting a new motherboard anyway, with new processor, im hoping that will fix it

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

That surely should do it....

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice