1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intermittent Blank Screen on Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PlymWoodworker, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PlymWoodworker

PlymWoodworker Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I'm a new member and will try to keep this brief, I seem to have a complicated problem.
    About 1/2 the time, when I boot my computer the monitor initially displays its search for a signal from the computer, but then goes blank when no signal is received. The computer tower beeps 6 times (video issue according to my particular system). Even with the blank screen, Windows 7 starts normally (I hear the intro music, etc.). If I reboot, the video is normal and everything is OK. This has happened for about the past 5 months. I have contacted HP twice with no resolution. I have already checked the video cable connections and have removed and reseated the video card. I have also reloaded the BIOS defaults to see if it was a BIOS issue, ran the hardware diagnostics tests (everything passed), and reloaded the video driver. I also tried a different monitor and a different monitor cable, and tried both VGA and DVI connections, an still got blank screens. None of these has helped. I can repeatedly reboot within 1 hour of the previous shutdown, and everything works fine. But if I wait longer (or overnight), most of the time I get the blank monitor screen (but not always). I suspect it is a bad video card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 530), and maybe heat or capacitor charge related. HP still isn't convinced and has not yet agreed to send me a new video card.

Now here's the odd thing: this all started when I changed my wireless router. I preset the new router while connected to another computer to have the same wireless network name and settings as the previous one. Then I connected it (hard wired) to the machine that's been giving me the video problem. That's when it all started. I noticed that my internet connection now showed up as "Woodworker 2" rather than just "Woodworker" (although from other computers via wireless it still just shows as "Woodworker"). I can't imagine that this has anything to do with the video problem, but it would be a real coincidence if it doesn't.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

3. PlymWoodworker

My system is an HP Pavillion HPE h8-1240t desktop
    300W power supply
    Intel Core i7-3770 3.40 GHz processor
    8 GB ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 2 GB DDR3 video card (listed 4 times in Device Manage, says 3 of them not connected)
    Running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
    Don't know how to get 12v line voltage info. from BIOS

My monitor is an HP ZR24w.

Hope this helps.

4. dai

dai

5. PlymWoodworker

dai,
    Thanks for the suggestion, but how would this explain that everything worked fine until 5 months ago? The system is about 9 months old, and I did not have this problem during the first 4 months. As I stated, it only started happening after I switched to a new wireless router (which is hard-wired to my desktop). If it's not the power supply, would you suspect it's a software or a hardware issue?

Thanks

6. dai

dai

is the computer still under warranty

if it is h/ware or s/ware you usually receive bsod error messages

check if you have any minidumps

C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp

7. replay

replay

kind of surprised hp would install such a small power supply in that computer ......with a video card aswell!!

8. PlymWoodworker

The system is still under warrantee, but my discussions with HP have been fruitless. So far they have refused to send me a new video card to try. Nothing they have suggested has worked. I'm not that advanced to know what a bsod error is, so I need some help with that. There are no relative errors in the events log. Also, what is a minidump?

9. dai

dai

when the computer has a error,from h/ware or s/ware

when you re boot the screen is blue with a list of codes on it [blue screen of death] =bsod

when there is no bsod it is usually heat or power is the cause

each bsod creates a mini dump which contains the error codes which is located here

C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp

the min power i recommend for a pcie system is 80+ quality 550w psu

which is nearly double what your 300w is,also hp is not known for using quality pus's in the builds

brand names are built to a price,they only have to last out the warranty period

then the problem is yours,not theirs

quality built systems last for years with little problem

over time the system deteriorates and draws more power

at the same time the psu also deteriorates and supplies less power

when the gap gets to wide you start to get problems,the more you are underpowered to start with shortens the period between enough power and not enough

i think upgrading the psu is the first step to curing your problems

10. PlymWoodworker

Thank you dai. I have never gotten the blue screen of death, but I'll look further into upgrading the psu. Thanks again.

11. dai

dai

let us know how you go

12. PlymWoodworker

Dai,
    To be honest, I was skeptical that the power supply was the major cause of my problem. So instead of replacing the psu for $75 or more, I decided to replace the video card ($60 for an MSI GeForce GT 620). That solved the problem. So it was actually a bad video card (which HP did not offer to replace). The new video card does recommend a psu with at least 350W, so I will be updating the psu to at least 550 watt anyway, but that wasn't the real problem.

Regards,
    John

13. dai

dai

the 620 only needs the 550w

the problem was the psu.the 300w in it was meant for a onboard video when a card is added then the psu needs upgrading

the 350w recommendation is for the card,you have other components that require powering also

14. PlymWoodworker

Dai,
    The card recommends 350W "SYSTEM" power supply. The card itself isn't drawing 350W; it draws a max. of 49W. The original card was a GT 530 and had the same recommendation. The original card wasn't working, the new 620 works with the 300W power supply. So I can't imagine the problem was the psu. But, as I said I am upgrading the psu anyway.
    John

15. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I can quarantee that's what killed your first graphics card. Being starved for power greatly shorthens a graphics card life. It's not the total watts that matter for a dedicated Pci-e card, it's the amps on the +12v rail.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!