1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Intermittent Disconnects - Wired & Wireless with no loss to the router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TomHarvey, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TomHarvey

TomHarvey Thread Starter

I have been experiencing intermittent disconnects from the internet which as far as I can tell started when I installed an online game (Guild Wars 2). I have done quite a few things to try and get this resolved myself but its proving to be quite a hardy problem so I thought id post it here. First off a few details:

ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
    Router Brand: Sagemcom
    Router Model: [email protected]
    Operating System: All networked computers are on Windows 7
    Network Effected: Both Wired and Wireless Simultaneously
    Router Status: Internet light remains solid green and I am able to access my router while disconnected.
    Frequency of Disconnects: 1-2 times an evening

The internet gets disconnected for all computers connected to the network however the router internet light remains green. The problem occurs more in peak internet usage times. Before this issue I have previously never had this problem and no other hardware/software changes were made. I also get disconnected when no programs are being run on my machine and when the wireless has been disabled.

I am currently plugged into the test phone socket, have swapped out the micro filter 4 times, replaced the modem with a brand new one, allocated static IP's to all devices in the network, turned off IPV6, changed settings on my network card and then back again and scanned my computer for viruses and malware using AVG, Windows Defender and Advanced System Care.

I have phoned my ISP who confirm that my internet connection does not get disconnected from the router indicating a problem from within my network.

The only thing that seems to have made a difference was uninstalling Guild Wars 2 which reduces the frequency of the disconnects from approximately 3-4 times an evening to 1-2 times.

I have removed every Guild Wars 2 entry from the registry and from my user settings.

I have attached my ipconfig/all below, does anyone know what the issue could be before I have to resort to reinstalling windows 7 to see if that fixes it.

Thanks,

Tom

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How do you restore internet access?

When you are disconnected what happens with these tests (in a Command prompt window)?

ping 192.168.0.1

ping 8.8.4.4

ping yahoo.com

If the first succeeds and the second fails what happens with a ping of the default gateway assigned by your ISP to your router's WAN?

3. TomHarvey

TomHarvey Thread Starter

The internet restores automatically without any action after 20-30 seconds.

192.168.0.1 is my default gateway.

I have been trying to do a ping test as below:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To me that implies an intermittent ISP problem; most likely with the gateway that was assigned to your router's WAN (to be clear, I do not mean the router's LAN address--which is your computer's default gateway--192.168.0.1).

If it is like the issues I get from time to time (but it's minutes, not seconds, before it is cleared up for me) you can ping your ISP's gateway but nothing else on the internet.

5. TomHarvey

TomHarvey Thread Starter

I have just tried to ping the internet from my router while disconnected, I got the below which would line up with what your saying.

Do you know how I can find out my ISP's gateway at all?

Thank you for your help by the way, its greatly appreciated!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I had a Belkin router that showed some status, including gateway, w/o even logging in. Attached shows where I find it on my current router after I login.

Attached Files:

7. TomHarvey

TomHarvey Thread Starter

After confronting my ISP and getting taken through to many different people they have finally fixed the problem by replacing a faulty piece of equipment in the cabinet. It was actually the second piece of equipment they had to replace to identify the item causing this issue.

The issue was also effecting everyone else connected through it as well.

Thank you for your help in identifying my ISP as the problem,

Regards,

Tom

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice