1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internal Alarm Going Off???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foreverland, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foreverland

foreverland Thread Starter

I'm getting a weird problem. Every now and then an alarm inside my computer goes off. It sounds like a siren kinda *beeee-booooo-beeeee-booooo*. It's pretty loud and it's coming from inside the computer, not through the speakers. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly sets it off. The first few times, it happened when I was trying to burn a DVD. But lately it seems to be going off when I'm working in Maya. I thought maybe it was when I was trying to push the computer too hard, but I just had it go off when I hardly had anything running, and was just doing some simple texturing in Maya. Any idea what would be causing this? Why it's happening? What I can do about it?

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

yes, it possible an overheat alarm - when you push the PC hard it generates a lot of heat - so if the fans are not running or theres lot of dust etc then you may be on th elower limit of temp.
    running programs make the CPU hotter and the alarm goes off

open the box and see what the fans are like - I fixed a problem a few days ago here and the case fans where unplugged

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree it sounds like an overheat alarm from your bios. Open the case and give it a good cleaning with a can of air [available at any computer store] After you finish cleaning the system, power it up with the side cover still off. Observe all of the fans; are they turning? If all fans are running, power the system off and give the cpu fan a close inspection. Check to see if there are any broken mountings. If the heatsink is loose, it will not work. Once through with all of this, replace the side cover and power up the system. See how it works. You might want to install something like Speedfan to monitor your temps.

4. foreverland

foreverland Thread Starter

Yup, it was the dust! All the fans were working, even the one on the heatsink, but they were all pretty caked with dust, and the heatsink vents were especially bad! It was getting so I could only render about 5 frames before the alarm went off, but now I've rendered 200 and no alarm! Dust! So simple! Thanks guys!!!

5. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

Your Welcome. (y)
    Would you now mark this thread solved - which you have the power to do from your first post.
    goto
    Tick - Mark Solved

Thanks (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/399174