1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet access problem with WiFi. Wired internet works fine.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Spock_Gandalf, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spock_Gandalf

Spock_Gandalf Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 with Windows 7. I have been using Time Warner Internet. It worked fine until yesterday. WiFi stopped working out of the blue. When I tried, wired connection works pretty well. I do not recall any significant changes to my computer while this happened. So now I can connect to the wifi hotspot but it says "No Internet Connection". When I connect the LAN wire with the WiFi router, internet works. The moment I remove it, it says No Internet Access, although computer is connected to the hotspot and signal is very well.

The drivers are being shown as up to date in device manager.

I tried following instructions given here: http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Winsock-and-TCP/IP
    This didn't work. Problem persists.

I have been through some threads around here. This is the ipconfig output:

Can you tell me what might be wrong ? What's the way out ?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you have an ethernet connection - so the ping test maybe misleading

the wireless has an ipaddress

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky, Mcafee , AVG , Webroot etc

do a tcp/ip reset using the instructions below

have you tried a restore to before the issue ? - see below

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restore PC to an Earlier Date & Time

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

• Click in the radio button Choose a different restore point
    • Click Next
    • put a tick in Show more restore points
    • Pick a Date before this happened
    • Click Next
    This should restore the PC to that time & date

you may need to use safemode to do the restore. As the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu will appear - choose safemode

windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

For Windows 8
    to open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter

ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

3. Spock_Gandalf

Thanks etaf for quick reply. I tried to restore settings to an earlier point. It didn't work ! System Restore gave an error and said it's probably because of active antivirus. I turned antivirus as well as firewall off and tried again. It still didn't change anything. System restore didn't change anything. Problem persisted. I tried to reset TCP/IP stack repair as suggested by you. Following is the cmd window output:
    Problem persists. What now ?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    next things to try

Check the wireless is switched ON
    theres often a physical switch or a combination of the FN and one of the F keys to toggle the wireless on/off - is the wireless on?

Remove the wireless security
    Is your wireless security enabled?
    if so - log into the router and remove the wireless security - now see if it will connect.
    if it does - log back into the router and try with the wireless security enabled again

Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
    goto the device manager > Network Adapters > click on the [+] to show all the adapters

right click on the adapter and from the menu

remove/uninstall the adapter

Now restart the pc and allow windows to detect new hardware and re install the adapter and the driver

5. Spock_Gandalf

Wireless antenna is on. I did say that I am connected to the hotspot and it said "No Internet Access". I did as you said and uninstalled all the network adapter drivers that it was showing. And now I CANNOT see any of the WIFi networks in the area. The wired connection still works. Windows troubleshoot indicates that I have problem with Driver for Wireless Network Connection Adapter. It also says Local Area Connection Adapter is disabled. I tries to enable it. Nothing happens, it stays disabled. Huh..what now ?

6. Spock_Gandalf

Oh and I couldn't login to the NETGEAR router's logon address. It doesn't accept the default username and/or the password as indicated below the router.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    lets see an xirrus screen shot
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

8. Spock_Gandalf

Xirrus doesn't see any networks at all !! Do you still want to see the screenshot ?

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes please -

10. Spock_Gandalf

Here it is:

Attached Files:

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Status of Services

We would like to see some status information for each of the services listed below.

To do this goto

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> type CMD to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Type the following command
    SERVICES.MSC

OR
    Control Panel>
    Administrative Tools>
    Services>

then for each of the services listed below - Please post back the following status information;
    If the service is set to Started or Stopped
    and
    If the service is set to Automatic or Manual

• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Windows 7 & Vista wireless configurations only)
    • Workstation

If any of those services are not started/running,
    then right click on the service
    then from the menu choose properties and now check the dependencies.

for each dependency entry - Check each of one of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running/starting.

12. Spock_Gandalf

• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues) - Started, Automatic
    • Computer Browser - Started, Manual
    • DHCP Client - Started, Automatic
    • DNS Client - Started, Automatic
    • Network Connections - Started, Manual
    • Network Location Awareness - Started, Automatic
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Started, Automatic
    • Server - Started, Automatic
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper - Started, Automatic
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Windows 7 & Vista wireless configurations only) - Started, Automatic
    • Workstation - Started, Automatic

13. Spock_Gandalf

So, what seems to be the problem !? Sorry. It's a tough one, it seems.

14. Spock_Gandalf

Can someone please look into this ? I have been at it for a couple of days and I'm tired of sitting in one place for wired connection. I can't see any wireless networks at all now and have to connect using a LAN cable. Device manager shows all network adapters installed and up to date.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice