Solved: Internet Browsers won't work after Standby

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grumblez

I have searched all over the net and asked around but no one seems to have an answer to this one. :confused:

After my computer sets in standby for a while, (usually for an hour or so), I can't get either of my Internet browsers to open, (IE or Mozilla Fire Fox), as well as some other shortcuts and file folders.

It returns from standby just fine, no lag or anything.

After I tried to get both browsers to run, I opened my task manager to see what was going on in the background and found both browsers registered as running in the "Processes" section but not the "Applications" section. I assume the same goes for other things that will not open, but haven't tested that yet.

Weirder still is the inconsistency of it all. Some file folders and shortcuts, as I said above, won't work... but some will. I've been at this for over a month and can't pinpoint a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help in this. I’m stumped.

PS - BIOS and Windows are both updated and current.

Are you using a screen saver during Standby?

These can be buggy and consume memory -- the depletion of memory resources may not be restored, causing these problems.

Run eventvwr.msc and look in the Systems and Applications logs for errors occuring during or after a return from standby.

You can double click these to view their descriptions and there is a double-paper copy icon that can be used to copy to the clipboard for pasting.

You might look for a possible firewall problem, particularly if you are using anything other than the Windows firewall.

grumblez

Wow, is it normal to have many errors?

I need to do some work on my machine it looks like. This error and the one following are the two I'm guessing that relate to my problem (they seem to have happened at around the time of my last problem of this nature).

I don't have any screen savers or anything running. The only major functions running at all times that I know of are Road Runner Medic, AVG and my G-Mail notifier.

Does this mean there is something running in the background that's causing this...or oculd one of these be the culprit?

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 7/16/2006
Time: 12:29:04 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: BELIAL
Description:
Windows saved user BELIAL\dem0n registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1524
Date: 7/16/2006
Time: 12:28:50 PM
User: BELIAL\dem0n
Computer: BELIAL
Description:
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

You have Stand-by, Hybernation, Screensaver and power settings. Wha tis happening is these are conflicting with each other and the only way to fix this is to turn off three of the four that you are not using. Question I have is do you have a flat panel LCD monitor or the older type with the CRT?

If you have the LCD the screensavers and power settings and hybernation can all be turned off. If this is a home computer and not a business computer turn them off anyway. Matter of fact turn all of them off and when you are not at the computer just turn off the monitor.

grumblez

I remember hearing that the monitor is the real power consumer of a PC. I'll just start turning the monitor off instead of messing with standby.

It is a home PC with a CRT monitor. Wish I had a flat panel LCD monitor, though ;) .

Thanks for the advice, I never thought of that angle.

grumblez

Thanks! I got it installed. I may go ahead and try standby just to see if that happened to fix the problem.

grumblez

No application errors whatsoever this morning. Left computer in standby all night, and there wasn't a single hitch with anything once I loged back in, that seems to have done the trick.

Thank you again!

Great! I'll mark the thread "Solved" in that case -- an option also available to you in the Thread Tools menu, for future reference.

You're most welcome for the help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online