1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Connection Dies Randomly Often

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MaxTheHelper, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaxTheHelper

MaxTheHelper Thread Starter

Hi Everyone

In my previous house I would lose connection to the internet about 2-3 times a week. Since moving into my new house it happens more like 5-15 times a day. The internet light on my modem goes out and the broadband light blinks on and off.

95% of the time when I lose the connection it is for less than 2 minutes. But on some occasions it can take a half hour to work again.

Some more info:
    - It happens on all 6 computers/devices in my household at the same time. (2 Macs, Win7 PC, iPad, iPod, PS3).
    - All devices are connected wirelessly to modem. But, I have also tried Ethernet and still have same problem.
    - I have tried 2 modems (including a brand new one that my ISP sent after I complained).
    - I have tried using different jack points and cables.
    - When the connection fails, I am still able to wirelessly access my modems config page. So wifi connection is not the issue.
    - My ISP sent a technician out. He replaced one cable out by the road, but this did not solve the problem.

I have spent a few hours over multiple days on the phone with my ISP. First they said there was no problem with the line. Then they said there is definitively something wrong with the line. Then nothing wrong, then something wrong. Finally after they monitored the line for 3 separate 24 periods,they decided that the problem was solved. And I thought so too... I had good connection for about 36 hours. But then it started failing again, so far today I have lost connection about 10 times. About 6 of those were clustered around a 30 min time period this morning, and the other 4 or so were at seemingly random times.

I plan to create some podcasts and need a stable connection for Skype interviews/talks.

Thanks so much for any thoughts or ideas.

2. BPCS

BPCS

Since it happens to all of the computers at the same time the problem is not with the computers. It's likely it is a line or router problem, esp since you mention the link light goes out in the modem correct? There's nothing I know of that you can do except get your ISP to fix the problem, or go to another ISP.

3. MaxTheHelper

Thanks BPCS for your thoughts. I am in New Zealand and my ISP (Telecom) is by far the largest ISP in the country, and I believe all other ISP's use Telecom's lines. So changing ISP's probably won't fix the problem. I will call them again on Monday and see if there is anything else they can do.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    mention this to them - its key really as it shows a problem with the modem or line - and as they have replaced the modem, then more likely a cable

5. MaxTheHelper

Thanks, I will mention it.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Apparently you have (A)DSL? It could also be your interior wiring or a filter. I assume that you have "spaghetti" type phone wiring with a filter on each non-modem device.

7. MaxTheHelper

Yes I have ADSL2+ and I have a filter on the only non-modem device (1 cordless phone) plus there is a filter on the modem. If the problem is interior wiring, would my ISP fix that or someone else? What would be involved in something like that? Thanks TerryNet

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Should not work at all that way. Maybe you mean a splitter with a filter on the non-modem side?

In the US for 25 years or so the interior phone wiring has been the owner's responsibility, although some pay a relatively large monthly amount to their phone company for its maintenance. I have no idea what your situation is.

If your cordless phone is 2.4 GHz it may be causing your outages. You can unplug the base station and remove battery from the phone(s) to test.

9. MaxTheHelper

Yes I did mean a splitter with a filter, sorry. My phone is 2.4GHz, but I have tried moving it about 30 feet away from the modem in another room. I will test unplugging the base of phone as soon I can.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes using channel 1 or 11 (or whatever is the highest channel available to you) on the router will make a difference (either better or worse), so you can try that first if it is very inconvenient to go w/o the phone for a test.

11. MaxTheHelper

Originally my channel was 1 but I moved to 5 after testing the amount of activity on each channel. Have now changed to 13 as per your advise.

12. MaxTheHelper

This is the order in which things usually happen when I lose connection

1. Can't load any websites, Browser continuously loads, All programs lose connection to internet (10-20 seconds)
    2. Browser shows a page with the name of the modem and says something bad, I will try to pay attention next time to see what it actually says (30-60 seconds)
    3. Connection returns but is very slow (10-20 seconds)
    4. Everything normal again

Sometimes the possess will repeat 5, 10, 20 times before becoming stable again. Usually it's just once or twice though.

13. MaxTheHelper

Ok it simply says Not Connected... and then some basic useless troubleshooting info.

14. MaxTheHelper

I did some thinking and I remembered that the connection dies when the phone rings. This is rare as I only call/receive land line phone calls a couple of times a week. I thought that maybe if I could fix this issue, then the other problem of random disconnections might go away too.

So I set about testing each of my 4 splitters on my phone and then calling it from Skype. What I found is that with my two old filters, I will lose internet connection when I make the call to my home phone. But with the 2 new filters (sent by my ISP with new modem), I was unable to call my home phone at all.

I have no idea what to make of this... Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: I should also mention that I tried 2 phones 1 cordless and 1 corded

15. MaxTheHelper

Ok I went digging around in old boxes for more splitters/filters, I now have a total of 11. I tested them all, (Note: Some of them were only tested for a few minutes and a phone call). These were the results:

- On 9 of them the internet connection drops when I make/receive a land line phone call. Internet connection quite unstable in general.
    - On the 2 brand new ones the internet connection seems more stable in general, though it still fails often, but I am unable to make/receive phone calls at all.

So I am now convinced that the problem is not related to the filters/splitters. The line technician is coming back in a few days. He said he might try running a wire directly from the access point to the modem and bypass all the internal wiring.

If I find a solution I will post it for anyone else with this problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice