1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Connection Frequently Disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kungfuturtle, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kungfuturtle

kungfuturtle Thread Starter

Hi I have a Belkin G+ MIMO Router F5D9230-4 connected to a Linksys AM200. Was suppose to buy a G+ MIMO with built in modem... :( My ISP is TalkTalk Broadband 8Meg. The router connects 4 PCs on 1 network. Basically everyone loses connection frequently and they are starting to get annoyed All the PCs do not uses static IP addresses :( Im not very good at setting up routers and modems correctly and would like some help. These are the reasosn I believe im gettign disconnected frequently:

1) Power Supply - Original power supply will not work.. worked once then all lights went off. Using a Multi-Volt adaptor. on the Belkin router output reads 12V 0.5A. The multi-volt adaptor is selected at 15V which is the minimum and says this is 4.5A max is this incorrect and can it cause the dilemma im having. All the lights are on and blink/stay solid as they should.

2) Mixed Cards - Although the router is MIMO 1 computer has a G+ card 2 computers have a G card and the other computer uses an ethernet cable. The ethernet card is built in and is 10/100Mbps. Am thinking of upgrading so all are G+ and the same cards. Have been told its bad to mix cards.

3) Bad Setup - I currently have the router set at PPPoE and same with the modem. However I have other setups and am not sure I have the correct one. Isn't bridge mode what I need? The router's setups are Dynamic, Static, PPPoE, PPTP and Telstra BigPond. The modem's setups are PPPoE, PPPoE, Bridged Mode, Half Bridge. Not sure which one to use and how to configure correctly.

4) Modulation Type - I have been told the higher the speed the lower the stabilty. I currently have the speed set at the highest so im not sure if this is the reason. The types are ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT), ITU G.992.2 (G.Lite), ITU G.992.3 (G.DMT.bis), ITU G.992.5 (ADSL2+ my current one).

5) Static IPs - Are static IPs more stable and overall better or no difference? All my IPs are automatically and sometimes i recieve the error IP conflict on the ethernet PC

These are my thoughts on what the problem could be. Any help is much appreicated. Thanks for looking!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. Personally I wouldn't operate any electronic device, certainly not a new one, without the proper power supply. Surely there is a long enough warranty to get that power supply replaced.

2. Try just using standard 802.11g until you get the problems ironed out. Then you can introduce MIMO and see if it improves or hurts.

3. If the AM200 modem/router is operating as a modem and router then the Belkin should be connecting with a dynamic connection. If the AM200 is bridged or whatever the term is to say that it is acting as a modem only then the Belkin router's connection must be whatever your ISP requires.

4. Don't know.

5. No difference, except that dynamic (automatic) are far more convenient.

Beyond the first 3 items you've identified (which you should take care of first), sometimes a router firmware upgrade and then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure will help disconnect problems.

3. kungfuturtle

kungfuturtle Thread Starter

Thanks! set the router to dynamic and now i can connect to the modem on 192.168.1.1. Thanks seems better too :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice