1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet connection no longer works through router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RichO, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RichO

RichO Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this topic has already been covered but search results were far too broad.

Anyways, I have a 3 computer network with a Linksys Etherfast router. Suddenly this morning, none of the computers can connect to the internet. All of the computers can still communicate with each other through the network so the router is working in that respect.

If I unplug any computer from the router and into the modem by itself, it can connect to the internet, so the modem is working fine.

Could my router possibly be bad or is there something else I can check?

I would appreciate any help. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to networking. :eek:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Usually there is a LED indicating some status of the WAN (internet) connection. Does your router have one, and what is it telling you?

When you login to your router what is the WAN (internet status)? If it does not have a good IP configuration is there anything in the log to indicate the problem?

Make sure the cable between modem and router is good. Reset the router to factory defaults and see if it works.

If you have no success with any of the above the router has probably died (at least the WAN part).

3. RichO

RichO Thread Starter

Yes, there is an LED on the router that indicates internet connection and it does light up when the modem is connected to the router.

Here is the problem....I can't log in to the router because I have no clue what the user/password is. I had a former co-worker come over and set this up for me a few years ago and I have been unable to reach him. Chances are, he wouldn't even remember the information anyways and the default user/password does not work.

I had already tried replacing the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. No luck there.

It looks like I may have to go and pick up a new router and try that out. I've never set one of these up before. Is it pretty straightforward if you follow the instructions?

4. FromSoftware

FromSoftware

Heres few on how to log in to your router 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.258 username is admin and paddword is admin but if you or the person done it for you changed the password it wont log you in if it dosn't work as the person who fix it for you or reset the router but you might need to do the settings all again or dhcp. if you reseted it username is admin password is admin
    good luck ;)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Reset the router to factory default setting. In addition to being one of the fixes I suggested it will reset the user/password to default. The default will be specified in the router manual and/or quick setup guide. If you don't have the CD that came with the router the Linksys site (support section) should have a copy.

When setting up a new router copy the user manual to your computer and then hide the CD somewhere before you are tempted to use any "easy setup" wizard. The fact that you can simply move your computer from the router connection to the modem indicates that a new router will be "plug n play." Just unplug the modem while being sure to connect it to the router's WAN (internet, modem) port. After it proves to be basically working you can change the wireless SSID and secure it.

6. RichO

RichO Thread Starter

Well this is awfully strange. I spent so much time originally thinking that the problem was with the modem and/or it's communication with the router that I never thought to power cycle the router. I did that and everything seems to work for the time being. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully that was all it needed.

Thanks for all your help.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811998