Solved: internet connection problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jag11

I'm really pi$$ed off with my brother, he kept on hanging the phone when I'm using the internet, so the internet connection will be offline. Is there any software out there to prevent my problem? umm.. to make it clear... is there any software that if you hang the phone, you'll be still online.

Many THANKS

I don't understand this problem at all.

If you're using a dial-up connection you can't use the telephone handset and the PC modem at the same time. If someone is using the telephone handset to make a voice call you won't be able to connect with the PC modem. Conversely, if the modem connection has been established then if someone picks up the phone handset they'll just hear the noise of the modem connection and won't be able to dial out...and replacing the handset won't cut the connection.

If you have an adsl/broadband connection then you can make voice calls at the same time as being connected to the internet. In this case, during the period when the voice call is going through you'll be sharing the line and lose half the bandwidth for the internet connection (so it'll get slower but won't stop working). And when the caller finishes and replaces the handset, the PC gets the full bandwidth back...hanging up the phone won't cut the connection.

Unless he's pulling the connection from the wall - then I dont think it's software you'll be needing.

little den said:
Unless he's pulling the connection from the wall - then I dont think it's software you'll be needing.
:D...yeah, I was assuming he'd discounted that.

Jag11

Surreal2 said:
I don't understand this problem at all.

If you're using a dial-up connection you can't use the telephone handset and the PC modem at the same time. If someone is using the telephone handset to make a voice call you won't be able to connect with the PC modem. Conversely, if the modem connection has been established then if someone picks up the phone handset they'll just hear the noise of the modem connection and won't be able to dial out...and replacing the handset won't cut the connection.

If you have an adsl/broadband connection then you can make voice calls at the same time as being connected to the internet. In this case, during the period when the voice call is going through you'll be sharing the line and lose half the bandwidth for the internet connection (so it'll get slower but won't stop working). And when the caller finishes and replaces the handset, the PC gets the full bandwidth back...hanging up the phone won't cut the connection.

Yeah, I think you really didn't understand my problem...

"If you're using a dial-up connection you can't use the telephone handset and the PC modem at the same time."

We have to ports, that means, one for the telephone and one for the PC, but they're not different, they have the 'same' telephone number.

"if the modem connection has been established then if someone picks up the phone handset they'll just hear the noise of the modem connection and won't be able to dial out"

Yeah, if you hanged the phone, you will hear noise[I tried that], but when you
hang it for a long time[just like what my brother did] the connection will be disconnected... that's my problem

Again, software is not the problem. Your brother is! The only way around it would be go to broadband, that way, it wouldn't matter how long he had the phone 'up'. There is no other software available for your problem.

jag11 said:
We have to ports, that means, one for the telephone and one for the PC, but they're not different, they have the 'same' telephone number
Exactly, that's what I was saying. Whether you have one 'port' or 20 'ports', if they're connected to a single phone line/phone number then you will not be able to use the telephone and the PC modem at the same time.

jag11 said:
Yeah, if you hanged the phone, you will hear noise[I tried that], but when you
hang it for a long time[just like what my brother did] the connection will be disconnected... that's my problem
OK...slight misunderstanding...when you said 'hang' I assumed you meant 'hang up' the handset not 'pick up' the handset. Again, picking up the telephone handset and replacing it will not cut your established modem connection. BUT there is a risk that picking up the handset (especially if your brother talks or otherwise introduces 'noise' into the connection through the handset) will interfere with the modem signal and cause the connection to be lost...and the longer you keep the handset 'up', the more likely it is that this will happen.

As Little Den said, there's no software that can help you. Either sort your brother out....or you could unplug the telephone from the wall socket and take it with you to the PC so nobody can use it while you're on-line.

Jag11

Oh ok.. I just tought there's a software that can block the telephone... well thanks guys!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online