1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jag11, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

I'm really pi$$ed off with my brother, he kept on hanging the phone when I'm using the internet, so the internet connection will be offline. Is there any software out there to prevent my problem? umm.. to make it clear... is there any software that if you hang the phone, you'll be still online.

Many THANKS

2. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

Bump

3. Surreal2

Surreal2

I don't understand this problem at all.

If you're using a dial-up connection you can't use the telephone handset and the PC modem at the same time. If someone is using the telephone handset to make a voice call you won't be able to connect with the PC modem. Conversely, if the modem connection has been established then if someone picks up the phone handset they'll just hear the noise of the modem connection and won't be able to dial out...and replacing the handset won't cut the connection.

If you have an adsl/broadband connection then you can make voice calls at the same time as being connected to the internet. In this case, during the period when the voice call is going through you'll be sharing the line and lose half the bandwidth for the internet connection (so it'll get slower but won't stop working). And when the caller finishes and replaces the handset, the PC gets the full bandwidth back...hanging up the phone won't cut the connection.

4. little den

little den

Unless he's pulling the connection from the wall - then I dont think it's software you'll be needing.

5. Surreal2

Surreal2

:D...yeah, I was assuming he'd discounted that.

6. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

Yeah, I think you really didn't understand my problem...

"If you're using a dial-up connection you can't use the telephone handset and the PC modem at the same time."

We have to ports, that means, one for the telephone and one for the PC, but they're not different, they have the 'same' telephone number.

"if the modem connection has been established then if someone picks up the phone handset they'll just hear the noise of the modem connection and won't be able to dial out"

Yeah, if you hanged the phone, you will hear noise[I tried that], but when you
    hang it for a long time[just like what my brother did] the connection will be disconnected... that's my problem

7. little den

little den

Again, software is not the problem. Your brother is! The only way around it would be go to broadband, that way, it wouldn't matter how long he had the phone 'up'. There is no other software available for your problem.

8. Surreal2

Surreal2

Exactly, that's what I was saying. Whether you have one 'port' or 20 'ports', if they're connected to a single phone line/phone number then you will not be able to use the telephone and the PC modem at the same time.

OK...slight misunderstanding...when you said 'hang' I assumed you meant 'hang up' the handset not 'pick up' the handset. Again, picking up the telephone handset and replacing it will not cut your established modem connection. BUT there is a risk that picking up the handset (especially if your brother talks or otherwise introduces 'noise' into the connection through the handset) will interfere with the modem signal and cause the connection to be lost...and the longer you keep the handset 'up', the more likely it is that this will happen.

As Little Den said, there's no software that can help you. Either sort your brother out....or you could unplug the telephone from the wall socket and take it with you to the PC so nobody can use it while you're on-line.

9. Jag11

Jag11 Thread Starter

Oh ok.. I just tought there's a software that can block the telephone... well thanks guys!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/375022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice