1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deluge, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Dell PowerEdge SC 440. 3GB memory. Win XP Prof with SP1/2/3. Firefox. OE.

Internet connection not being made on boot up. It will connect when I disable and then enable "Network Connections" after this it works normally. Have checked all the likely settings to no avail.

A second and possibly related problem is that when using Skype the sound at the other end is very faint and unclear. All other Skype functions seem to be OK.

Need a fix or fixes for these, all suggestions welcomed.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When did the Network Connection problem start please.
    Ethernet cable connection? to router.
    Onboard LAN
    Wireless - Inbuilt or adaptor pls.
    Basically, pls provide some more details.
    SKYPE - Sound at the other end. Your sound, on their computer or their sound on your computer. presumably the latter. Pls check Skype, Tools, Options, Audio Settings, pls ensure your soundcard is shown as device for audio. Make Skype test call.

3. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Problem started around October, 09. I was o/seas from then until recently, hence delay.
    I use a wireless router, the PC is connected to same via RJ45 port. Router connect to my llaptop in another room. There is an onboard LAN.
    Skype OK apart from the sound at the other end whis is unintelligible. Have run the Skype test call and all seem OK, playback is normal and of normal volume and clarity.

This problem first surface around the time of the uninstalling of AntiVir, when most of it's functions remained functioning but the Prog was no longer shown in "Add or Remove Programs" I then sought out and deleted any of its files that I could find.

I had previously downloaded an alternative anti virus prog - Avast - and disconnected from the net before removing AntiVir and installing Avast.

After this, A-Squared found and deleted "MyWebSearch Toolbar!A2" and "Zwinky Toolbar!A2" Whatever they were. I then ran Avast, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, CCleaner, AdvancedSystemsCare. These found little of consequence.

Hope this info is of some help.

4. Macboatmaster

Download this please and send me the report pasted to a Microsoft Word Document.
    PLEASE DELETE ANY PRODUCT KEYS and personal information.
    REPEAT DO NOT INCLUDE PRODUCT KEYS or ANY ID for any Software.
    Send the doc as an attchment.
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

5. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

The Belarc file at 595 Kb, too large to send as a reply. Please advise next move.

6. Macboatmaster

Hope you do not mind me telling you, you are wrong. 1000Kb on text attachments.

While you are preparing that, try a clean boot.
    See if that solves the problems.
    Only a temporary solution, but it will give us a starting point. Instructions here.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

7. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Here is plain text version of scan, hope it helps.

Attached Files:

8. Miggs

Miggs

9. huggie54

huggie54

hiya mate go back to your post and remove the product keys from your attachment

10. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Done what you recommended, problem dissapeared - BRILLIANT. I now know where to go for my next fix, computer fix that is!!!. Many thanks

11. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

how do I do that now that it's posted?

12. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

I mean, how do I remove the product keys at this stage?

13. Miggs

Miggs

What fixed the problem Deluge ?

14. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

15. Macboatmaster

Deluge,
    Pls mark the thread SOLVED.
    It saves others looking when checking for those that need help.
    It is a by the way now, but I did stress NOT to include the product keys.
    It may be fixed, but you have OR will have other problems, your Belarc report clearly identifies the probability of this.
    Come back if you wish, rather than marking it SOLVED yet.
    It is good that it is fixed, but Winsockxp.Fix is very much of a last resort. WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries
    The problem has most certainly been caused by the revelations in the Belarc report.
    Tip: If you are using Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or 3. there is a command that can be used instead of Winsockxpfix. It works by resetting the winsock catalogue. Click Start, then Run and type CMD in the dialogue box that appears, and then click OK. Type netsh winsock reset into the DOS window that appears

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!