1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jheh150, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jheh150

jheh150 Thread Starter

Hi guys, just got a new laptop for christmas. It's a Toshiba Satellite C660D-102 and im using an edimax router. The problem is I can't get internet access on it. I occasionally can browse the web for a short period of time but then it gives me a message saying that there is no internet access. I never had a problem with my old laptop and all my other devices can connect too (ps3 xbox etc) How can I resolve this?
    Thanks,
    Jake

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. If it is an integrated adapter get the driver from Toshiba's web site.

If you have a non-Windows firewall or security suite either uninstall it or make sure its data definitions are up to date and that you have it properly configured.

3. jheh150

jheh150 Thread Starter

Everything seems to work fine in my bedroom, but in other rooms of the house I can't get connected to the internet. What could this be?
    Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could be weaker signal because of distance or obstructions or could be interference from another network or other devices.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector for the bedroom and for a problem place.

5. jheh150

jheh150 Thread Starter

Actually i'm not sure thats the problem. It seems to be that when the laptop is plugged into the power supply and not running off the battery it works fine. That's why i thought it was just my room because that's where I keep the cable and plug it in. However, when I unplugged it in my room I lost internet connection and when I plugged it in in another room it has connected (this message has been sent on the laptop). Have you ever heard of such a problem before, it seems a little odd to me.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes; I don't hear it often enough to remember to post about it, but it is an issue that arises.

I'm gonna guess that you have Windows 7; if not the same general advice holds but the details will vary. Control Panel - [System and Security if you are using the Category view] - Power Options - Change plan settings (for whatever plan you are using) - Change Advanced power settings - expand Wireless Adapter Settings - expand Power Saving. If you see something like on my attachment you will want to change the battery setting.

Attached Files:

7. jheh150

jheh150 Thread Starter

Yes you are right I have windows 7, but I have followed the steps above but there still appears to be issues when connecting withouth the power supply? I've tried a few settings ranging from maximum power save to maximum performance but can't connect whenever the cable isnt plugged in.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maximum performance is the one to try. Sounds like it's time for a nice heart to heart chat with Toshiba.

9. jheh150

jheh150 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I think it is now sorted.
    Jake

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Please tell us what the solution was.

11. jheh150

jheh150 Thread Starter

After doing what you suggested it seems to work much better, but it does sometimes go down again. When I took the laptop round to a friends house it seemed to be fine so maybe it's something to do with my wireless specifically,

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Screen shot(s) of Xirrus may help. Especially if there is a place where it almost never disconnects and another place where disconnects are fairly frequent.

13. jheh150

jheh150 Thread Starter

It doesn't appear to make any difference whereabout I am, just can't get any internet when not plugged in to power supply at my house. I have a strong signal everywhere so I think it is something to do with the power settings. the only anomaly is when I took it to a friends house and it worked fine even when it wasn't plugged into the power.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Getting a strong wireless signal everywhere, getting disconnects at one place, and no disconnects at another place imply wireless interference. Could be from another wireless network or from another 2.4 GHz device (cordless phone, baby monitor, microwave, etc.).

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice