Solved: Internet connection problems on a single computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tkdchick218

This is my first time asking for help with network problems online, so bear with me.

We've (we=family) been having internet connection problems with one of our computers. The computer with the problem happens to be our desktop, the only computer in the network that is using a LAN connection. All laptops/iPods/TVs/etc. connected to the wifi network are working properly.

The connection problems have been steadily getting worse over the last few months. The first problem was with an online classroom. Although the computer appeared to have no other connection issues, I would be disconnected from the classroom server several times throughout the class. It was as if there was a short break in the internet connection every 10 minutes or so. Eventually, we noticed that links wouldn't always work the first time we clicked on them, and this began happening more often. Now, we're lucky if we can get a page to open on the first try. It often takes multiple attempts to get a page to load.

As further proof of a connection problem, YouTube videos only buffer about 5 seconds. After the 5 seconds of video have played, we have to click beyond what has buffered in order for the video to reload and buffer another 5 seconds. The same problem happens with downloads. After about 5 seconds of downloading, the downloaded amount stops increasing, and the estimated time remaining begins quickly increasing. In order to get a file to download, I have to click the download link, wait until the file stops downloading, cancel the download, click the download link again (the download picks up where it left off in Google Chrome), allow it to download for another 5 seconds, and repeat the process until the file is completely downloaded.

We recently replaced our router to fix our decreasing wifi range and speed. The new router works properly and our wifi is back to normal. The desktop is connected to the router as it doesn't have a wireless card (the desktop is a Dell Inspiron 530 from 2008, running Windows Vista 32-bit). Unfortunately, replacing the router didn't solve our connection problems on the desktop, so the router wasn't the problem. I've used multiple cables to connect the desktop and router, thinking a bad cord might be the issue, but that didn't work either.

According to the device manager, the network card (Intel 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection) is functioning properly and has up-to-date drivers. Diagnosing the network in the Network and Sharing Center shows no problems. Basically, according to the computer it's internet connection is fine, but it obviously isn't.

I've looked around the network settings to see if anything looks wrong (although I probably wouldn't notice if something was), but everything looks all right to me. I've tried tinkering with settings based off of troubleshooting tips I've read online, but since nothing worked, I set all the setting back to the way I found them. I've disabled and re-enabled the network card in device manager. I've done pings and tracerts and anything else I could think of to try to pinpoint the problem. Nothing but the symptoms seem to show up.

My guess is the problem is either the network card or the LAN port. If a USB wireless adapter would bypass the network card altogether, I think that's our best chance of resolving this, since the wifi is working properly. However, before I go buy a wireless adapter, I thought I'd see if anyone has suggestions.

Ask for any tests, specs, etc. As long as you're willing to walk me through any tests I don't know how to do, I'm willing to give any results that might help diagnose the problem. Thanks for all help in advance.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Have you tested the router LAN port and cable with another computer to make absolutely sure they are working OK?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

tkdchick218

As the problem existed with the previous router as well, I'm assuming the router isn't the problem. However, I'll try that shortly, as well as the stack repair commands.

ipconfig/all:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Cassidy>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : cstrange-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-A1-B1-5B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::880:81c0:2481:9bb3%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:06:05 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:06:04 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.myhome.westell.com
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:1048:28e:3f57:fd9b(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1048:28e:3f57:fd9b%10(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.myhome.westell.com

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 16:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
According to device manager, it's up-to-date.
So? :) One of the things that cause the symptoms you are getting is an incorrect or corrupt driver. Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
That's better. :) You checked it yourself, right; didn't rely on one of there auto detect things (which are usually right, I suppose, but not always)?

In case of corruption use Device Manager to uninstall it; then reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver.

What security applications (security suite, firewall, anti-virus, etc.) are on the machine?

tkdchick218

Yes, I checked myself.

I have to write an essay on that computer tonight, but after I'm finished I'll try uninstalling the network card if I'm not half asleep already by the time I'm finished.

The only antivirus/firewall we have is McAfee. I've made sure all web browsers have full iternet access through the firewall, as we did have a problem with Google Chrome being blocked before.

tkdchick218

Well, I uninstalled the network card and rebooted. The connection seems a little better, but not entirely fixed.

-Links clicked seem to be a bit more likely to load now, even if they first appear as if they won't (unlike before, when if it didn't load immediately, waiting an hour wasn't going to help matters).

-Pages don't seem to stop loading after about 5 seconds, requiring a refresh to load more page elements.

-I managed to get 16 seconds into a YouTube video.

However, video streaming is still iffy (I can get between 6 and 16 seconds into YouTube videos, I can't start a Netflix video, and other streaming sites get about the same amount of load time as YouTube), downloads still get interrupted, and every once in a while a page won't load. I'll try again in the morning, but while it helped, I don't think that solved the problem.

EDIT: Out of curiosity before going to sleep, I used the TCP/IP stack repair commands and rebooted. As a test, I went back to YouTube. Again, 16 seconds.

tkdchick218

Well, good news and bad news. The good news: it appears that the McAfee firewall is the problem (as I should have guessed). The bad news: it appears that the McAfee firewall is the problem.

I turned off the firewall and went to YouTube. Videos fully buffered and played. Netflix streaming worked. Heck, I could stream Netflix and YouTube at the same time.

I turned the firewall back on. YouTube went back to only buffering a few seconds.

I was starting to get nervous as I was changing any firewall settings that looked like they could interfere with the connection, because nothing seemed to work. However, it seems the Net Guard has to be fully disabled or disabling it for individual programs won't have any effect. It appears as if I've found the problem - now to see if everything continues to work properly.

Thank you for the help. It seems I just needed to be inspired to take another look at the firewall settings (and now I feel kind of silly). I'll be back if for some reason this didn't fix the problem.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
If fiddling with McAfee doesn't result in "perfection" uninstall it and run the Removal Tool. You can reinstall it after testing. Sometimes those critters get corrupted and this is the way to clean up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online