1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet connection repeatedly lost

Discussion in 'Networking' started by theo, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theo

theo Thread Starter

:( When connected to the internet at regular time intervals I get disconnected and see the following message on my screen:

"Network protocol connection results.
    One or more requested network protocols did not connect successfully. TCP/IP CP connected successfully. IPX/SPX or compatible CP reported error 733: A connection to the remote computer could not be completed. You might need to adjust the protocols on this computer. Press accept to use the connection as is, or hang up to disconnect."

When I click the 'Accept' button I am able to reconnect to the internet, but after a couple of hour the same story goes on...

Could you please help???????

2. DBClark

DBClark

How are you accessing the internet? Dial-up, Cable/DSL, Home Network/Router? Operating System?

It looks to me that you have a network protocol, IPX/SPX installed on your system that shouldn't be. If it is at regular intervals, more than likely your IP address is renewing it's lease.

3. theo

theo Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I have got an ADSL connection and actually don't know where to look for the IPX/SPX on my system. How do I remove it?

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

If you have windows XP right click on network places and select properties. If you are connected to the modem via ethernet you will have an Icong labeled local area connection right click on that and select properties. You will see a box that has a list of protocols that are installed on the adapter. You can uncheck IPX or uinstall it. If you use a USB connection there will be a 1394 connection and just do the same thing. If you are not sure just check each connection and disable IPX

5. DBClark

DBClark

Start-->control panel-->network connections-->right click connection-->click properties.

Look in list for NWLink or IPX/SPX, may be in same line. If it is there, I would uninstall it. If there is some odd reason that you do need it, it can be reinstalled.

6. theo

theo Thread Starter

Thank you DBClark. I followed your instructions and so far I haven't been disconnected! It seems to be working now properly but time will tell!

7. DBClark

DBClark

Your welcome! :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426687