Solved: Internet connection speed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chuck-HD

:confused: Hi, When i connect to the internet, it
says, 26,400 bps. It used to say, 52,400 bps. Is this something i should be worried about, or is this normal for dial up
I P? chuck.:) :) :)

dialup's connect at different speeds, try logging off your ISP then reconnect, usually that will resolve the issue, remember that's normal, my sister has dialup & she has to do the same, not a computer problem but related to the ISP.

chuck-HD

Hi, Tapeup, Thanks for the response, i'll give it a try. chuck.

Datalyss

Banned
When I had dialup, I could usually only get 28Kbps out of my 56K modem cuz the phone lines around here are such crap.

SirKenin

Banned
Speeds are dependent on the phone lines and switches. If you get a copper line you'll get low connect speeds, for instance.

chuck-HD

golferbob said:
i had a slow speed till i ran a line from the computer to the outside phone box.
:) Hi, that's good to know. i have access to an outside box. thanks. chuck.(y)

chuck-HD

SirKenin said:
Speeds are dependent on the phone lines and switches. If you get a copper line you'll get low connect speeds, for instance.

I think our phone lines around here are crap. I don't know about their composition. But i'm starting to get the picture. Thanks, chuck.

chuck-HD

Datalyss said:
When I had dialup, I could usually only get 28Kbps out of my 56K modem cuz the phone lines around here are such crap.
I usually get 28kbps, but for a while i was getting, in the 50s'
Well, as it is, dial-up is my only option right now. Thanks,
chuck.

Well, I actually typed a long explanation of many of the things I did back in my dial-up days to help you improve your modem and system performance, but then decided to simply provide links to some webpages with good advice for you. I realized that I was running out of time to finish a reply today, so I deleted most of what I'd already typed so I could send this, or I'd STILL be typing this...

However, I do want to point out one error in a previous post, which referred to copper phone lines:

The FACT is, COPPER phone lines will give you the BEST connection speeds, unless your telco is installing fiber-optic lines right to the outside box. Even so, fiber doesn't increase the ACTUAL bandwidth, it simply helps maximize the existing bandwidth available to you. Chances are, your signals are moving through copper wire; things could be a LOT worse...

Keep this in mind; if you connect at less than about 31Kbps, you won't be able to take full advantage of the technology designed into your 56K modem. Follow the advice presented in the links I've provided, and you should always be able to get a better connection.

Everytime your modem dials out, listen to the noise the modem makes. You can tell by the sound if you're getting a high-speed connection or not. When the modem connects at low-speed (because of line noise or whatever), you'll only hear rather high-pitched sounds during the handshaking process (while your modem negotiates the connection with the modem at the other end of the line). When you get a good connection, you'll hear a combination of both high and low tones during the handshake, and that will tell you you've hit paydirt. If I didn't hear both the high and low tones while the modems were negotiating, I immediately disconnected and dialed out again, rather than waste time trying to browse the 'net one a poor connection.

Check these links and you'll learn in a short time 90% of what I struggled to learn about how to peacefully co-exist with a dial-up connection. There are MANY things you can do to improve your connection and download speeds, starting with connecting your computer modem to the wall with a SHORT phone line, and not installing ANY devices (answering machine, phone, or whatever) in between the wall outlet and the back of the computer. Your modem probably has a pass-through connector you can use to move the extra equipment UPSTREAM of the modem and the wall. Making that change is quick and simple, and only the first step in improving your setup.

Read these links for more information:

http://www.mdgx.com/56k.htm

http://modemfaq.home.att.net/

http://www.56k.com/trouble/

There are MANY more sites that can help you, but those three will teach you how to unshackle your 56K modem and get better performance without spending a dime.

Merry Christmas; hope this helps you.

chuck-HD

Thanks a lot sammy. I'll check out those sites and see what happens. Thanks Again, chuck.

It was recommended above to run a new phone wire to an outside box.
Actually where ever the phone line comes into your house is as good,
it doesn't matter if the wire comes through the house wall direct from
the pole or to a box on the outside of your house. Connect a new line
where the wire comes in.

There isn't enough voltage on the phone wires to hurt you. If the
phone rings while you are touching the wires you will get a shock
but it isn't too bad. This of course is for a heathy person.

john

chuck-HD

Thanks for the information john. I can take a shock or two if i have to. Thanks Again, chuck.

Also the part about having new wiring and no more plugs, jacks or
adapters makes sense electrically. But in a 90 year old rental house with very old
phone wiring, I added a phone jack box to an existing terminal
box and used a 50 ft phone cord and a splitter adapter and got
48K. So it can make a difference and maybe not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online