1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet connection verry slow with windows products

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dirkdirk, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dirkdirk

dirkdirk Thread Starter

Hi every one,

I'm using windows Vista and all the windows products that use a internet connection suddenly went very slow. Viewing a webpage with internet explorer on a fast connection takes up to 10 secondes, but the same page with Firefox (no-cache) loads in one or two seconds.

I've got the same problem with Windows Mail, Live Messenger, ect. All the non-windows products like gmail notifier and Winamp are fast as usual.

So now and then i'm also getting an error that "Rasman" doesn't work correct and that it's being stopped.

I'm using good anti-virus software and use my pc only for browsing "normal" website's (no warez and stuff) and reading my e-mail. Also I haven't installed any program or update.

To fix the problem I've tried the following things:

1 - Installer services pack 1. Didn't make any difference.
    2 - Try to turn back to a windows backup point. Wasn't possible anymore due the services pack install.
    3 - Kickt RASMAN out of the registry
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26)
    But this also didn't make any difference so i've placed the subkeys back.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try next?

Chears,
    Dirk

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is more a shot in the dark than trouble shooting. In Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - take a look at the 'Remote Access Auto Connection Manager.' If its Status is 'Started' then Stop it. If its Startup Type is 'Automatic' change it to 'Manual' or 'Disabled.'

3. dirkdirk

dirkdirk Thread Starter

Thanks for your help TerryNet, unfortunately the "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager" was stopped and startup type is manual.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  5. dirkdirk

dirkdirk Thread Starter

Thanks again TerryNet, unfortunately it doesn't make any difference. Besides it isn't only internet explorer that suffers the problem.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I remembered that your problem is not only IE, but Microsoft tangles up their browser with as much as possible, so I was hoping.

My attempted shortcuts didn't get anywhere, so I'm gonna direct your attention to my thread, where I had the inverse problem after I reset IE. Clearly you don't have the same cause(s), but the trouble shooting I did and the suggestions from a couple of the experts will be helpful to you. Here it is: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/694271-solved-web-pages-load-slowly.html

Speaking of those experts, many seem to be taking some time for "real life," and will likely be reading this tonight or tomorrow.

Try to post here at least every day or two with your progress (and dead ends) to keep interest alive and, hopefully, other suggestions flowing. Hope to see this marked solved soon.

7. dirkdirk

dirkdirk Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet :).

I've read your topic and tried to startup my PC in safe mode with network possibilities. Surprising too me all Microsoft programs had there original speed and everythings looks fine.

So I decided to make also an HijackThis dump:
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 0:24:44, on 29-5-2008
    Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    D:\Program Files\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\LManager.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    D:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Users\Dirk\AppData\Local\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ENET\ENMTRAY.EXE
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\EPOWER\EPOWER_DMC.EXE
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ACER.EMPOWERING.FRAMEWORK.SUPERVISOR.EXE
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\ERAGENT.EXE
    D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
    D:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://pac.telenet.be:8080/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\GRA8E1~1.DLL
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] D:\Program Files\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WarReg_PopUp] C:\Acer\WR_PopUp\WarReg_PopUp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\LManager.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eDSMSNfix] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDSMSNfix.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [nHancer] "D:\Program Files\nHancer 32bit\nHancer.exe" /tray
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "D:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Empowering Technology Launcher.lnk = C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eAPLauncher.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Verzenden naar OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Verz&enden naar OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsPAClient.cab56907.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F5A7706B-B9C0-4C89-A715-7A0C6B05DD48} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineSweeper.cab56986.cab
    O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\GR99D3~1.DLL
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: eNetHook.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: eNet Service - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eNet\eNet Service.exe
    O23 - Service: eRecovery Service (eRecoveryService) - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRecoveryService.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: MobilityService - Unknown owner - C:\Acer\Mobility Center\MobilityService.exe
    O23 - Service: MySql - Unknown owner - D:/webserver/xampp/mysql/bin/mysqld-shareware.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
    O23 - Service: ePower Service (WMIService) - acer - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePowerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

I've checked this logfile on the free log analyser hijackthis.de. Nothing seems suspicious. Hopefully somebody could help me out.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm no malware person, but I'm suspicious of that RtkBtMnt.exe. Legit processes don't normally run in a Temp folder. See if you can kill that process (Task Manager) and, if that helps, use msconfig to remove it from the Startup list.

9. dirkdirk

dirkdirk Thread Starter

Once again thanks TerryNet, unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

10. dirkdirk

dirkdirk Thread Starter

*bump*

Anyone any suggestions?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your thread has had 167 views, so if anybody had a good suggestion they probably would have shared it by now. I really think that you are going to have to go searching for the process or service (that runs in normal mode but not Safe Mode with Networking) that is causing this problem.

12. dirkdirk

dirkdirk Thread Starter

Finally I've found the solution! :) To fix the problem open msconfig and uncheck the "SSTP-service (secure tunneling protocol)".

I've checked and unchecked the Microsoft services one by one and rebooted after each change to find this :eek:.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Aren't those treasure hunts just SO much fun! :(

Another interesting Vista anomaly. That service is running on my Vista and apparently causing no problems. The service I had to stop does not give other people problems. I guess it's time to start a list of "try stopping this service" for Vista.

Glad you got it working, and thanks for the feedback. You can now celebrate by punching that "SOLVED" button at the upper left of the thread. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice