Solved: Internet Connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kepiano

This could well be the wrong forum for this. A neighbour asked me to look at her computer. She is unable to connect to the internet. She has a P2, 64 MB ram. I'm not sure of the speed. Her OS is Win98 SE. I went over to her place. She has an internal modem....56k. After checking all connections, making sure the phone line was good, no conflicts in Device Manager, no luck in dialing out. I can't hear the modem dialing. I did run Spy Bot. It hadn't been updated for quite a while. She has Norton anti-virus. Everything seems to be quite clean. I ran sfc....nothing. I brought the computer home with me and hooked up my external 28.8k modem. I know it is working good. I am using it now. I still had no luck. I have tried testing direct communication to the COM port. Nothing. I tried Hyper Terminal. Nothing. I should say that with my modem I can hear it dialing, but then nothing. I will get an error with both modems saying that it can't communicate. I thought there might be a WinSock issue. I have an LSP fix floppy. I ran that. Nothing. There is a WinSock fix out there, but it won't fit on a floppy, so I have no way of retrieving it. I could put it on my computer, burn it, etc., but my burner isn't working. I have run out of ideas. I am thinking it is a Windows problem. She really doesn't want to do a fresh install. She has some pictures on there she doesn't want to lose. I was thinking maybe a reinstall. I guess there is no guarantee that she still won't lose them, but I am out of ideas.
Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry this is so long.
I forgot to mention that I removed the modem from its slot and put it in another....didn't help.

Hi,

If you click on Control Panel > Modems > Diagnostics ...then highlight the modem and click on More Info ...if the system can communicate with the modem you will get a log. If not you will be told.

Kepiano

I will try that as soon as I get a chance. I have to shut down my computer because I have to use the keyboard from it. Thanks for the reply. I will post back after I try.

Kepiano

I did as suggested. The system can communicate with the modem. I didn't write down the whole list of things....just the 1st 3:
ati1 sup2751
ati2 OK
ati3 SuperMax 56i Voice PCI V.92 V2. 12.172
It is on COM 3

In that case the modem is ok and the drivers are installed and functioning.

If you goto Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections .....is Always Dial my Default Connection checked?

If you click on Settings at this stage is Auto Detect Settings checked?

In the Dialup Settings at this point is the User Name and Password correct?

If you click on Properties here - is the dialup phone number listed and correct?

Kepiano

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I wasn't sent an email to let me know that you had replied. Yes, to the above questions. I think I have decided to reinstall windows....hopefully that will be a good plan.

Re-installing Windows seems to be a drastic solution.

One other thing you could try is to set up another ISP connection - this would confirm that the phone line and the modem are ok and the problem is the settings on the original.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > Set Up

Kepiano

I have already tried with my settings on her modem and on mine and her settings on her modem and on mine.....rather confusing when put like that. I know that my modem doesn't have a problem and so far I have to assume that hers doesn't either. I have tried to make 2 or 3 different connections with both modems.

Kepiano

I reinstalled windows and I am still having the same problem. I really need help. Thanks 1069 for all your input....now if you will only give me a wee bit more.

Have you tried what I suggested in post 7 - set up another connection (you can have 2 with dialup) you can delete it afterwards if necessary, but it will either confirm that the modem is capable of dialing out or not.

Kepiano

I must have misunderstood you. When you say 'set up another connection' what exactly do you mean? Do you mean another number and not the isp? If so, what number? I have tried dialing out through hyperterminal...I believe it dialed, but no connection. (just a friend's number) I know my modem is capable of dialing out, since I am using it at the moment, but I cannot get online with it hooked up to her computer. The driver was installed for it when I hooked it up to her computer. It is seen in 'Device Manager', and is working properly according to it. I have my choice of it or her modem in the 'dial-up connection'.
Thank you again for your help and patience.

I meant another isp.

On your friend's computer and with her modem do the following:

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > Set Up

This should allow you to set up a different isp - it will confirm that their modem can dial out and that all is well and if you can do this then the only logical problem with the original isp would be the settings.

You can either elect to keep 2 isps on the system or you could delete the new one when you get the problem sorted.

Just a thought - some isp's disable the dialup account if it is not used for a number of months - would this be the case with your friend?

Kepiano

This is probably a dumb question, but where do I get a number for another isp? We both have the same isp....we live in the country. I have tried with my modem and my settings (username & password) and I still cannot connect.....it is this that makes me think that it isn't a modem or setup issue. This morning I tried something....I used 'Find' and entered 'telephon.ini' and changed it to .old and then 'Run' and entered 'tapiini.exe' and then rebooted. It didn't help.

Sorry Kepiano, I have been assuming all along that your friend is on dial up and not broadband as you say that she has a 56k modem - is this the case?

If it is then you should be able to create a new account with an isp to test the modem and system using my previous suggestion.

Edit:

The set-up proceedure is automatic and all you will need to do is answer questions as it creates the connection. It also searches for all of the isp providers in your location.

I should have asked this some time ago -

Has your friend ever been able to connect to the internet with this computer?

If so what happened that she now can't? (virus, downloaded program, changed settings...?)

When you reinstalled did you format and do a complete reinstall or was it "over the top" which would allow you to keep data?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts