1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by paulnich, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulnich

paulnich Thread Starter

My friend is having problems with a laptop connection to the internet either using wired or wireless connection.

The laptop can see the wireless router and can ping internet urls via the command prompt with no problems,yet when using either IE or Firefox cannot connect to websites and even the local address for the wireless router doesn't even work.

Other computers on the network are working fine!

Any ideas what to try next?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    firewall - if he has a firewall loaded - disable it
    if he has norton, mcafee and its an old demo version remove it using the removal tool

what firewall is on the PC or ever been on the PC

Also check - Control Panel> internet options> connection tab> lan settings > post back whats there ?

Kaspersky Removal Tool
    A link to Kaspersky - this varies with different versions
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=193239279

Mcafee RemovalTool
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
    http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Norton Removal Tool
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What operating system?

4. paulnich

paulnich Thread Starter

Operating system is windows XP - i'm pretty sure firewall is disabled but i'll check if there is any other firewalls apart from the built in xp one and report back!

Thanks

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Another thing to try, best to do them again after banishing any non-Windows firewalls, are ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. paulnich

paulnich Thread Starter

Hi guys & gals!!!!

On further investigation I spotted that Symantec Live Update was installed but no reference to any other Norton Products.

As it's a Packard Bell machine it has a tool to restore the machine to original installation which provided me the option to reinstall Norton Internet Security.

So, reinstalled NIS and disabled the firewall as the connection to the internet is via a wireless ADSL router so I guess I'm correct in assuming that a firewall is not needed on the PC as the router performs the same function.

Opened up firefox and Hey Preston normal service is now resumed.

Thanks for your advice!!!!!!!!

Paul

7. eddie1234567

eddie1234567

Hi guys, just joined today to ask my own question and saw this thread. So please excuse if sticking neb in where it's not wanted.

The symptoms very much like a few machines I have had to deal with lately and although you have rebuilt the machine it may be academic but maybe for info sake. It was Symantic update that nailed it for me.

Quiet a few machines I have had to sort lately have had all of these symptoms and I have gone through the process suggested etaf and terrynet but nothing would fix it.

Thoughts turned to some sort of card failure or infection, but the AV etc reported nothing, although somthing just didn't add up.

I used antoher machine to donwload the latest AV updates to and booted to safe mode on the problem machine and updated it and ran the AV, it found infections and I was able to clear them.

Rebooted and when windows restarted it was working fine, in all cases for some reason symantic live udpate seemed to be the common route, I don't know if there is a specific threat out there that is targetting this or not, (or installing itself to look like Update).

As I said it is just so familiar that I though would post a reply in case it saves someone having to rebuild, remvoing all symantic and safe mode scan seemed to fix it

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would assume that Symantec Live Update implies remnants of Norton, and immediately run the Norton Removal Tool. However, I cannot rule out the possibility that it is some malware in disguise, as eddie1234567 suggests.

Note that NIS very definitely includes a firewall.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice