1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: internet disconnects when server is connected

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dro0ps, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dro0ps

dro0ps Thread Starter

I have a server 2003 r2 machine connected on a LAN.

the server is used for data storage and the local workstations use the data on mapped drives.

When the server is connected to the internet ... all of the workstations on the lan partially lose the internet.

When i ping google while the server is connected to the internet I get 50% to 75% loss.

When I disable the LAN adapter on sevrer- alll the workstations on lan have 0% loss.

When I enable lan adapter on server and configure tcpip and for primary dns i enter 1.1.1.1
    I still get 0% loss

when I enter 8.8.8.8 for primary dns the problem persists/

It kind of sounds like a virus on server causing very heavy traffic?
    trojan virus?

if so which software can I use to remove the virus.

Im using symantec AV on the server.

2. AJScott

AJScott

Might be completely wrong but would installing a switch help? Are you using a switch or a hub to connect your server/workstations together?

3. dro0ps

dro0ps Thread Starter

new network switch and router

4. dro0ps

dro0ps Thread Starter

The only way I was able to ressolve this issue was by using the repair method
    with the server 2003 cd.

Scanning utilities did find 11 trojans. After Ive removed the trojans server failed to start. It said that one of the services failed to start.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice