1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Siouxzq, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Siouxzq

Siouxzq Thread Starter

My main desktop is Win XP Pro SP3 with a Linksys router. Through the router, my husband connects with his desktop, and I connect with my laptop. However, my main desktop just loses the internet connection spontaneously.

I have replaced the Ethernet cable with no luck. Sometimes if I switch out the ends of the cable, the internet connection will stay on for a few minutes and then disappear; however, I can still connect through my laptop, and my husband can connect through his desktop without problems.

I have limited knowledge of how routers, etc., work, but it seems to me that if it was a router problem the two peripheral computers would not connect. My Ethernet card is affixed to my motherboard, and I have thought about just putting in a new Ethernet card; but without knowing what the problem might be, I don't want to do that without some help first.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. warrior19

warrior19

Can you tell us the make/model of router?

And if possible please post back in this forum a reply with the results of the following:

From Start [COLOR=#05408F ! important][COLOR=#05408F ! important]menu [COLOR=#05408F ! important]choose[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][​IMG]
    Run and type command and hit enter...
    Then type the ipconfig /all command.

Have you tried your cable in all the available ports of the router? Have you swapped you cable for husbands one or laptop?

To see if problem follows the port on the router or the cable?

As you suggest it might be the Ethernet card in the PC but again I would try re-installing or updating the XP software driver for the network card before installing new hardware.

Let us know?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do the following in the order listed.

1. Turn both computers completely off.

2. Unplug the electrical power to both the router and cable modem (don't unplug the cable connections).

3. Wait at least 1 minute.

4. Plug in the electrical power to the cable modem, then wait for the lights to sync.

5. Plug in the electrical power to the router, then wait for the lights to sync.

6. Turn on one of the computers and wait for it to completely load.

7. Do the same with the second computer.

If this doesn't work, call your ISP tech support and see if they can walk you through resolving the problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A cable port will occasionally go bad in a router. I'm assuming your router has at least 4 cable ports. Try switching to a different port.

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router and had 1 of the 4 cable ports go bad.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. warrior19

warrior19

Bit drastic if the other 2 PCs are working which is why I sugested moving things between working and non working ports/cables to try and isolate the problem.

5. Siouxzq

Siouxzq Thread Starter

I guess as in most cases, the simplest solution is usually the right one. I apparently have a bad port on my Linksys router, and once I changed ports, the connection appeared and has stayed connected! Thank all of you so much for your help. This is a great site, and I sure have it at the top of my bookmark list.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear the fix was simple.

Like I previous said, 1 of the 4 ports in my Linksys BEFSR41 router went bad. I have 2 desktops connected to it and it still has 3 good ports, so I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice