1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: internet drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PeteMo, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PeteMo

PeteMo Thread Starter

Perhaps it is working now! I tried the drivers linked to me by ETAF (wayne) without improvement, then I tried a driver from driver Identifier, also did not work any better. Then to ASUS to get a driver, ironically the same driver I was using via cd (perhaps bad copy) at any rate working at the moment and for several hours. Not marking solved yet, waiting for 9 pm local and the weekend for that.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    fingers crossed - but we have seen re-installing the same driver can help - if there is some sort of corruption - await for 9pm US time

3. PeteMo

PeteMo Thread Starter

no long term joy sorry to report. cleared all events on pc and waited for it to happen again. It did with a warning in system
    "Warning under system tab. "Name resolution for the name 197.108.85.208 in -addr.arpa timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded" This is the server ip reversed at destination end. So back at isp/cloud issues i think.

4. PeteMo

PeteMo Thread Starter

no long term joy sorry to report. cleared all events on pc and waited for it to happen again. It did with a warning in system
    "Warning under system tab. "Name resolution for the name 197.108.85.208 in -addr.arpa timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded" This is the server ip reversed at destination end. So back at isp/cloud issues i think.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that ip is located South Africa Gauteng Pretoria
    African Network Information Center

i cannot ping the address - so not an open dns server available to all

your DNS
    is coming up as skybroand
    and works OK

what are the symptoms you see now ?

6. PeteMo

PeteMo Thread Starter

reverse ip is arpa pointer(197.108.85.207). ip is 208.85.108.197. I can ping 114.108.193.201 without issue with good times 35ms avg. Network to dns works but after that is when problems occur. Typical ping packet loss on yahoo 20-30%.
    Google 5-15%. when problem shows up it 1st shows as a delay of up to 30 secs ( command sent- result seen on screen) which continues until dropped connection. Re-login often works for awhile but times online get shorter and shorter and load times longer. Restarting pc does not help and it eventually gets to connect and disconnect before anything loaded.Low bandwidth sites work better but are not immune from drops as well. (MSN, facebook, etc). All is well in the morning more often than not, Fails late afternoon and evening and weekends typically. It is now weekend here.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like an ISP issue - if a lot of people are sharing the connection and using a lot of download, maybe peer2peer

do you have another device connected - and does that work at all at the weekend , when the pc fails ?

whats the environment you are in
    you say a cable provided service - is this part of a block or just to a separate house ?
    maybe worth talking to the ISP

on the cable modem whats the status of the lights when it fails?

8. PeteMo

PeteMo Thread Starter

I have been on their case since day 1, they have sent techs twice and I have appealed to engineering. I do not know their structure but i do know it is a line to my home. I can see the port that I am attached to from my deck.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    anyone else connected and having the same issue ?

can you swap ISP ?

10. PeteMo

PeteMo Thread Starter

we don't know any neighbors using internet. Not without signing a two year deal and we are moving away in 6 months or less.
    So stuck again others must be affected though.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    anyway to find out - it maybe worth having a few other people inj the group put pressure on the ISP - if it is a ISP issue

12. PeteMo

PeteMo Thread Starter

Working now! What I did, make new windows user account. It started getting better Tuesday the day of new user account but still had drops and outages. Wednesday was better but still drops and outages. Thursday to present operational no drops or outages.
    What they did ???. I informed Isp with documentation of dns/cloud issues on Monday. No feedback from isp.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks for letting is know - sounds like an isp issue

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice