1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Explorer 6 Icon "Reverted"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Doctor_Pepper, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doctor_Pepper

Doctor_Pepper Thread Starter

Hello, everyone.

I was playing Diablo 2 today and my Internet Explorer 6 icon on my desktop (icon available in desktop settings, not a shortcut) seems to have reverted to something from Internet Explorer 4 or earlier.

I've tried re-applying the Windows XP theme (this worked for me on the original Diablo on my old PC when the start button did something similar) but no luck. I'm good at computing (e.g. I can edit the registry easily, follow instructions, I know quite a lot about XP) but I've never had a problem like this before. I'm gonna have to ask for help on this one.

Screenshot.

Any help would be excellent thanks. Also, I've had a similar problem on another computer when after installing IE7 the icon disappeared and went to the default XP "white-page" icon. It needed a registry edit to fix it; are they fixed in a similar fashion?

Thanks.

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Doctor_Pepper, Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Settings tab change the "Color Quality" from 32 bit to 16 bit, restart your computer then change it back to 32 bit. If this doesn't correct the problem download Tweak UI at the link below. After you install it you'll find it in Start>Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI. Open it and under Repair then choose Rebuild Icons.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Tufenuf

3. Doctor_Pepper

Doctor_Pepper Thread Starter

I'm a little embarrised at how easy this problem was fixed.

Following your advice, Tufenuf, I set my colour depth to 16-bit and it was fixed! I set it back to 24-bit (my graphics card only supports 16/24-bit) and it's fine. No need to restart.

Thanks alot.

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Doctor_Pepper, Glad to see that the problem is fixed and Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Tufenuf

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice