1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Explorer 7 & add-ons

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alwrmc, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I just reformatted and clean installed Windows XP Pro SP3 (and subsequent updates) on an old Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook. Finally got all the correct drivers and everything seems to be back on track again, except.....
    Whenever I start Internet Explorer 7 it comes up and says that "Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons"
    It then tells me that "to browse using add-ons, close Internet Explorer and then start it again"
    I have done that several times but it keeps coming back to the running without add-ons message. What have I managed to bypass? Is there a place where ActiveX controls can be "turned on/off"? I can use IE 7 but it is rather annoying to have to click past that message everytime. If I click on "Tools" the pull down menu has a "Manage Add-ons" but it is greyed out. :confused:

2. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Geez!! Never mind, I just found the problem. On the Target line for the program at the very end was "-extoff" (without the quotes). I have no idea how that managed to be included, but once I removed it, it's working normally again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice