1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet explorer and MS Office Apps hanging when using file dropdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thermidor, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thermidor

thermidor Thread Starter

My PC is in crisis! When I load Internet Explorer and try to select the URL dropdown it just hangs. If i type in a URL, it also just hangs, but if I select a URL from the favourites list its OK. The same happens when I use MS Word and do a file open, then select the directory dropdown - it just hangs. If I select a document from the recent files list its ok. File manager does the same when I select the plus sign next to My Computer.

If I go into Task Manager (CTRL ALT DEL) to close the application, it does not say "not responding" - but the application is unresponsive, and all I can do is close it.

I have rebooted. I have updated Norton Internet security to the latest definitions and done a full scan. I have checked Windows updates and all the latest are installed.

Can anyone help. My PC is virtually useless!

Thanks.

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Hi and welcome to the TSG Forums! :)

What version of XP are you running? Home or Pro? When did this start to happen? Just recently? Were you doing anything before hand- like a spyware/adware scan?

***Also, you may think it freezes, but give it thirty to sixty seconds and watch, it will unfreeze. I've had this happen to me before.

I think you may be infected with Apropos/ContextPlus. Before I give you the application and steps to remove the malware, let's see if you exhibit any other symptoms just to be certain. Also tell me your OS. Run the following troubleshooting tests:

Test A

Click on Start
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on System
    Click on Hardware
    Click on Device Manager

Question: Is the Device Manager window populated or empty?

Test B

Right-click on any file or folder on your desktop
    Hover over "Send To"

Question: Does your computer seem to "freeze" for about 30 seconds and then the Send To list appears?

Test C

Click on Start
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on Network Connections

Question: Is the Network Connections area empty or populated?

Test D

Click on Start
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on Add/Remove Programs

Question: Do you see any suspicious entries, specifically ContextPlus?

Test E

Question: Do you still have full USB port functionality with printers, cameras, gamepads, etc.? If you plug in/ unplug a device like a USB memory key if you have one, do you get a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your system tray?

Please run these tests and let me know the results... Depending on which questions you answer yes to, there are a couple of different possible fixes to remedy the problems. I need to know the answers to those questions I gave you first though. I will then try to provide you with a fix for this annoying problem of yours. :)

3. thermidor

thermidor Thread Starter

Hi - Thanks already for your help! I have done the tests.

I'm using Windows XP Pro, and have Office XP installed and IE version 6. The freezing DOES clear in File Manager after a BIG delay. I clicked on the plus sign next to "My Computer". After 2 minutes of waiting with an hourglass cursor, it did come up. Not so with with the file dropdown box in MS word when doing a file open - that just froze and was still frozen after 5 minutes waiting.

Test A:
    Device Manager is populated

Test B:
    Yes, the PC freezes, for longer than 30 seconds! I waited and waited! The dialogue box just remained on the desktop, then eventually cleared. The send to list didnt come up.

Test C:
    Network Connections is popuated

Test D:
    Nothing looks out of place. No ContextPlus. I also looked in the Processes List in task manager. Not that I really know what should be there, but there are two things i dont recognise "jucheck.exe" and "jusched.exe". Also there are six instances of "svchost.exe" running.

Test E:
    Plugged in my USB webcam. got the "ding ding" and it worked. Unplugging gave the same "ding ding".

Does this narrow anything down ?

4. thermidor

thermidor Thread Starter

Eventually the MS word dropdown came. A really long delay! Also plugged in my USB memory stick - and yes - I do get the safely remove hardware icon.

Hope this helps you help me :)

5. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Don't worry about those "jusched.exe" and "jucheck.exe". I think those have to do with Java.

I was kinda hoping you'd say XP Home. I still think you're infected with Apropos. For some reason, the following fix has a much higher success rate on XP Home machines than Pro ones. That's not to say that it won't work, so let's give it a shot.

Print out these instructions or at least write them down carefully because you won't be able to access them from safe mode.

• Download aproposfix.exe from http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/aproposfix.exe
    • Save it to your desktop, but DO NOT run it yet.
    • Shut off your computer and reboot into Safe Mode (see instructions below).
    • From safe mode, double click on aproposfix.exe from your desktop.
    • A new folder called "aproposfix" is created on your desktop.
    • Open up the folder and double click on RunThis.bat.
    • Follow all the prompts and save the log file.
    • Reboot into Normal mode.
    • Upload the scan summary/ log of aproposfix.exe here.

How to boot into safe mode:
    1) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows loading screen appears, press F8.
    2) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
    3) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

It's worth a shot and this is how I solved my problem. Let me know how it goes. (y)

6. thermidor

thermidor Thread Starter

Log of AproposFix v1.1
    Running from directory:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Dell Server\Desktop

Registry entries found:
    No service found!

Removing hidden folder:
    No folder found!

Deleting files:

Backing up files:
    Done!

Removing registry entries:

REGEDIT4

Done!

Finished!

7. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

That's strange. I had pretty much the same problem as you and running the fix showed malicious files and registry keys and it fixed it. Yet again, I'm running Home and you're running Pro.

Still not working? I've had people on XP Pro run the scan, it turned up nothing, but their machine was back to normal. Not true in your case, right?

I'll keep looking into it though for you. What was the last thing you did on your computer before the problem came up?

8. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

9. thermidor

thermidor Thread Starter

I dont think i did anything. I didnt install any new software. I did have an issue when i was burning a DVD and the program crashed and froze the DVD drive. Thats all I can think of out of the ordinary.

If you come across anything I'd appreciate it. I just cant do anything on the pc now!

:mad:

10. thermidor

thermidor Thread Starter

You're a star. My PC is now perfect. In fact - even faster than it used to be!! I did this after reading your link :

REGEDIT then changed values and added new items as NEW>DWORD where they didnt exist :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\stisvc]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoRemoteRecursiveEvents"=dword:00000001

Again - I cant thank you enough!
    Have a great day !!!!!!
    :D

11. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I'm glad that one worked out for you! :) Don't ask me why it happened in the first place though. Can't explain that one.

You can mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the page. (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice