1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer jumping all over the place...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by elpey31, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elpey31

elpey31 Thread Starter

Hello, I really hope one of you can help...

My desktop PC has suddenly developed a niggling little problem that means it is all but useless now. When opening most programs, IE, Windows Explorer and Opera the screen gets caught in a juddering motion that seems to act like the software is switching between Restore, Full Screen and Maximize functions, at the rate of about 6 switches a second. As you can probably imagine, this means the computer is more or less useless, and it's getting very frustrating. I've called the shop where we bought it, and got the usual "It's not our problem, try system restore, or restore factory settings". Tried system restore about 3 days ago, and no matter where I try to restore to it's having none of it, and then I got stop in a lovely "Packard Bell recovery program (which includes the system restore program)" loop, that stops actually being able to boot into Windows as it goes on a restarting loop, again, and again and again, until all of a sudden it'll boot. For this reason, System Restore is now switched off so I can continue getting into Windows. Programs not affected are Media Player, Photoshop, Outlook and RealPlayer plus others.

I assume this is a software issue, but I would really like to be able to sort this without having to wipe the whole computer.... Please can anybody help!

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

What i would possibly do then is maybe plug the hard drive into another pc and retrieve data off of it, and honestly i don't know what you would do here but install the system fresh from the cd. But, this time were doing a low level format instead of the quick stuff the system always does. So after backing up data, get a dos bootdisk or find an old win98 disk (that should do) let that format the drive, reboot the system after its done format and just switch to the hp cd and restore the system.

3. elpey31

elpey31 Thread Starter

Ah, that was the one thing that I didn't want to do, having to mess about getting all the data off, then having to reinstall all the programs... I don't have an XP disk anyway, as you don't seem to get them with shop bought PCs anymore. Thanks for your reply though, no doubt that's gonna be the road that I have to go down, but I'm not gonna enjoy it!

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Unfortunately that is the only fix i could think of for this problem and i hate that route to and try to avoid it like the plague. I hate doing that too, trust me but that is probably your best bet.

5. elpey31

elpey31 Thread Starter

Thought I would just post a quick update, just in case anyone else ever has this problem. Turns out that it was a faulty keyboard, something that I would never have thought of... It's a wireless one, so the batteries were going flat and it was causing the bizarre occurence as noted above!

If this helps just one person from me posting this it will be worth it!

(y)

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Thats great news(y)

please mark your thread solved by using thread tools in your first post

7. new tech guy

new tech guy

Oh ok i never thought of something like that. :rolleyes:

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

learn something new every day :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/556474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice