Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

(Solved) Internet Explorer Error Message

747 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  TonyKlein 
#1 ·
I am not sure what the problem is, but the main symptom is that I cannot open BMP files that I have saved. JPG and GIFS are fine, but when I click on a BMP, there is a flash of a half a second of what looks like the blue download screen and then nothing more happens . I ran scan disk; it found errors and repaired them; still no BMP files. Ran a virus scan; none found. Did Scan/reg restore. Didn’t help. When I go to add/remove programs and then try to repair Internet Explorer, it tries, then says,

"Internet Explorer 6 could not be repaired. Please run Setup again to reinstall all components.

The "Details" gives me this message;

I can open the BMP files in a photo program, and convert to JPG, but not how I want to do it, and afraid that this is a indication of a bigger problem. Any ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks; guess I forgot to mention that I tried that! It still wouldn't open in Explorer. Then told it to open in the photo program and that is how I got it there.

#4 ·
I suggest MS Paint. That's the default for Bitmaps, and not Iexplore.

If that makes no difference, please post back, and we'll try to fix that.

As for repairing Internet Explorer, a number of files appear to have been downgraded, and the easiest solution might be to reinstall IE.

Now the first thing to do is to fool Windows into believing you're running an older version of IE/OE, or it won't let you reinstall.

You can do that by editing the version info:

Go to Start > Run, and type Regedit.

Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.

Doubleclick the 'version' value in the right pane, and simply edit it to change the 6.00 part to 5.50

IE Setup will now think you're running an older version of Internet Explorer, and you'll be able to run IE setup and reinstall IE in its entirety.

Good luck,

#5 ·
Thanks Tony; that works to have Paint open the files, tho' that wasn't how they had been opening before. My main concern now is all those error messages, so think I had best do what you suggested and Reinstall IE! So far, the only problem has been opening the bmp files, but I am afraid things will start falling like dominos eventually.

#8 ·
Windows 98 SE. It is a Gateway computer and has had strange quirks in it since I got it. Maybe this is true of most; I don't know, but sometimes I think it has a mind of it's own. That sounds better than saying it is always my error, anyway!

#9 ·
Have you tried going to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double click Add / Remove Program and look for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Tools, try Restore to previous Windows setup. If it works, leave it there.

#10 ·
Thanks to you both. I reverted back to IE5, then reinstalled IE 6 and no more error messages when I go to "repair". Still need "Paint" to open the bmp. files, but as you said, Tony, that is likely another problem and I can live with it this way, and don't mind. It was those error messages that were worrying me! Can breath easy now.....until the next crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.