Solved: Internet Explorer: "Error on page"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jglong3

Hello,,,,, :) :)

If this is not the correct forum for this description please let me know.

Using a Windows98SE operating system and Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106.

When I look at a TECHGUYS FORUM Web Page that displays questions/problems/solutions "Error on Page" is displayed in the lower left corner of the IE Window. The following is always the detail information no matter what forum report page is reviewed:

Line: 3
Char: 1619
Error: Object Required
Code: 0
URL: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/778966-solved-driver-
updates.html

If I use another computer that sits in the same room with the same Operation System and Internet explorer this "Error on Page" does not occur.

I have searched all over for a solution and best I can tell this might be a missing JAVA Script.

If this is the case can you please let me know what script/object/file/application etc. is missing or requires an update and/or download?

Thanks for your time help and advice!!! :) :)

Jerry

Nope. The problem is with a minor incompatibility with Internet Explorer, all versions (probably with the Doctype). You don't get the problem with Firefox, Safari, or Opera.

Courtney

jglong3

Hello Courtneyc ,,,,, :) :)

THANKS fo the REPLY!!! Plus, your time, help, and advice!!! :) :) :) :)

Nope. The problem is with a minor incompatibility with Internet Explorer, all versions (probably with the Doctype). You don't get the problem with Firefox, Safari, or Opera.

Courtney
However, with another computer in the same room also with W98SE and Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 and both computers with all the last Microsoft critical, etc. updates installed, the other computer does not get the "error on Page".

Plus, the following DETAIL list for Line:, Char:, Error:, and Code:, is always the same no matter what TECHGUYS forum report page is being reviewed:

Line: 3
Char: 1619
Error: Object Required
URL: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/778966-solved-driver-
updates.html

The above URL in the DETAIl is just an example.

Tried to locate the HTML/JAVA/ETC. at character position 1619 but not having good success. If this is known it might be possible to determine what the computer is missing that produces the "error on page"(???).....

Jerry

jglong3

Plus, it appears that the JAVA scripts are all download links from the TECHGUYS server for the *.js files.

Jerry

jglong3

,,, Just noticed that the page will always load up with no error, but when a verticle scroll is attempted the "error on page" then pops up,,,, (???),,,,,

Jerry

Well ill be damned...

I own a site, and have recently enabled javascript error traping via ajax... And a ton of my users are getting this...

Always in IE6.

So I have recently downloaded MS's IE6 VM and am able to replicate this (by randomly doing stuff on my site... still cant figure out exact route...)...

a) DOCTYPE = XHTML Transitional
b) Browsers = ALWAYS happens for IE6
c) Same Line + Char, 3, 1619

Same issue, the error is thrown when the user scrolls... But initially happens quite randomly... That is, everything will be fine... And then, once the error starts, its thrown whenever the user scrolls.

I have attempted adding a test link:

<a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="alert(window.onscroll)">TEST</a>

But it returns void, even when the error has started...

Anyone able to figure this out?

jglong3

Hello,,,, :) :)

Thanks RIDDLA for your comments,,,,,

When I run http://www.javatester.org/version.html it tells me I have:

Java Version: 1.1.4 from Microsoft Corp

What version are you running?????

I found a program that says it will completly remove all of IE as well as registry entries. The program is called IEradicator2001.exe and once IE was removed it was re-installed (IE Version 6.0.2800.1106). It also removes JAVA, but Microsofts MSVM.exe was run to reinstall Microsofts Java.

Before the last Microsoft updates(critical, etc.) were installed IE was executed to view some reports at TECHGUYS.

The IE window was carefully watched and the following was observed:

1. PAGE loaded with no error and DONE was displayed.
2. Several minutes passed and there was no noticable display of
files downloading (.js files based on a VIEW of the HTML source code ????).
3. DONE remaind in the lower left of the IE Window over these minutes.
4. A vertical scroll was started and IE started displaying " # items remaining,,,,,".
5. Then the "error on page" displayed with the DETAIL listed above.
6. When the "error on page" is dismissed, the following message is displayed
again with a different number for #:

" # items remaining,,,,"

It appears that for this computer IE is not downloading all the .JS files with the following message: " # items remaining,,,,"

The other computer that does not display the "error on page" does not produce items 5 and 6. For the computer that does not display the "error on page", it looks like all the .js files are downloaded then control is returned to the user.

Both computers IE "TOOLS", "Internet Options" were checked and both are set the same for all selected tabs including ADVANCED. But, it is possible that I missed one.

Also, the HTML pages displayed on both computers appear to be exactly the same.

Later, the following was observed when viewing this report from TECHGUYS:

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/833636-internet-explorer-error-page.html#post6744133

The "error on page" occured but with the following:

Line: 1
Char: 136
Error: Unterminated string constant
Url: http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/833636-internet-explorer-error-page.html#post6744133

Once this error is dismissed, the "error on page" described above began.

Thanks for your time, advice, and help!!!! :) :)

Jerry

sometimes i impress even myself ;)

i have traced this down to the addthis button :)

i was using version 200, i see now on their site they have a 250 out... i have just upgraded it and it is too early to tell if upgrading to 250 has solved this or not...

so far so good tho...

for google:

ie6 object required line 3 char 1619
addthis object required

fairly safe to say upgrading from addthis 200 to addthis 250 has solved this problem.

its about 10am eastern rite now, peak time for my site, i used to get these object required issues quite often... 30 mins nothing.

btw:

the way i was able to track this down was by installing the ms javascript debugger in the ie6 vm microsoft provides.... which takes you right to the spot where the javascript error is being caused.

as far as replicating it on my end, i was unable to figure out the exact method of replicating the issue as i have a very javascript heavy site (tons of ajax, etc)...

ciao.

jglong3

Hello ciao,,,, :) :)

Ok,,,looks like your situation is fixed.......

I have used the GOOGLE information you mentioned and it appears from all that I am reading it is a modification to the users HTML source code. Plus, I see a lot of comments that it is a workaround for IE6 html source code.

In my case it is other users html source code that is producing the "Error on page" at Line 3 Char 1619. This error occurs on one computer with W98SE and IE6. However, another computer in the same room with W98SE and IE6 does not produce that error.

I am searching for the file of files to upgrade and how to upgrade these for the system but I am not having much luck(???). Probably my lack of understanding and experience related to this situation.

I am guessing that the (JAVA) script code which you found is related to ADDTHIS and that an object type file on my system does not contain the object name that is called to do the ADDTHIS. Is it an EXE file, a OCX file, or a DLL file, etc.????

If so, what would the filename(s) be and where can it be downloaded. Or, can a simple copy from the machine that works to the machine that does not work be acceptable?????

THANKS for your help, advice, and time!!!! :) :)

Jerry

jglong3

Hello,,,, :) :)

Many files within Microsoft JAVA, IE6, WScript, and CScript (OCX, DLL, EXE) were compared between the two machines and all seem to be of the same size and version,,,,unless one or more were missed.

Then it was noticed that there is a difference in the two IE6 HELP/ABOUT information on these two W98SE machines.

The IE6 on the W98SE machine that produces the error is using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 with SP1; Q918439; Q916281; Q837009; and q313829 installed.

While the W98SE machine that does not produce the error is using a Customized Version of Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106CO with SP1; Q837009; and q313829 installed.

To see if this may solve the situation, we are tryng to find a download location for 6.0.2800.1106CO and not having much luck.

Anyone know a download location for 6.0.2800.1106CO ????

Thanks for your time, help, and advice!!! :) :)

Jerry

jglong3

Hello,,,,, :) :)

OK,,,THANKS riddla for the work in finding the newer and upgraded ADDTHIS Button!!!

That even solved the problem here as well.

The other strange situation where one W98SE & IE6 computer produces the error while another does not was found to be in the IE6 of the computer that did not report the problem. When the Microsoft JAVASCRIPT Debugger was loaded and activated that computer then produced the error by the Javascript Debugger. That IE6 is now being looked at to see if a reason can be found that it does not produce the error icon or a error display window when TOOLS / INTERNET OPTIONS / ADVANCED ----"Display a notification about every script error" is set. IE6 will be reloaded if the reason cannot be found in a reasonable amount of time. This will be reported in another TECHGUY Subject in this forum.

This Subject will now be marked SOLVED!!! :) :)

THANKS for your time, advice, and help!!!!! :) :)

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online