1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: internet explorer error

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by new tech guy, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. new tech guy

new tech guy Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Im having a problem with my sisters computer (again) where when it tries to view certain sites, invision powerboards and myspace is where i notice it the most, internet explorer always comes with an error saying "were sorry for the inconvienience but internet explorer needs to close" and has a tick for restarting ie, but it always loops with this error. What could be wrong? I have done all kinds of cleanup and repair installed internet explorer. My cleanup includes, registry mechanic, (which i restored from the backup win2k mind you so no system restore), sfc /scannow, cookie cleaning via ccleaner, and a chkdsk. No avail and im ripping my hair out at this problem. Only thing i did recently was uninstall spysweeper from msn because it was too much of a recource hog. Could there be conflicting remnants of spysweeper causing problems? If so, how do I rid the system of it? Below are computer specs and thanks for help in advance.
    windows 2000
    600MhZ intel celeron cpu
    512MB of ram
    two browsers installed: msn, internet explorer 6 sp1

2. new tech guy

Update, i just realized this, it could be zone labs as well because i had to remove it because i uninstalled it when i was working on another problem and i think it started to happen there and got worse when i uninstalled spysweeper so i would like to check both angles. Sorry to add more confusion to the plot but im just trying to think of all the possible things that went wrong. Will be verifying my hunch today with the backup which has spysweeper and zonealarm in it. Then i will search for any rouge crazyiness in the system with hjt and lsp fix. Will post results of it.

3. new tech guy

Yet another update. I have fixed the problem but i did not. What i mean by this is that after going through add/remove components, removing internet explorer, then reinstalling internet explorer, then go back through add/remove components i put internet explorer back in and everything runs fine. However, the minute i put patches on and restart the program loses it's marbles and the problem starts all over again. I am adding a list of updates after I finish installing the firewall again.

4. new tech guy

Ok heres the list of updates for the system after doing the repair install:
    cumulative security update for internet explorer 6 service pack 1
    security update for (jscript version 5.6) for windows 2000 (kb917344)
    Cumulative security update for outlook expres 6 service pack 1 (kb911567)
    Security update for internet explorer 6 service pack 2 for windows 2000 (kb905495)
    Update rollup 1 for windows 2000 service pack 4 (kb891861)
    Q329115: security update (windows 2000)
    they are the updates that it would get after reinstalling internet explorer 6 from the ms website. If anyone can tell me which update is having problems and a possible fix for it please tell me. In the meantime i will not install these as i dont want to have to fix the problem again till an affable solution is found although i do not like skimping on updates. Thanks for any help in advance.

5. junker39

junker39

I also have been getting IE shutdowns after the MS updates. I haven't a clue to which one of the twelve, Wednesdays' update, is causing this. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

6. new tech guy

Oh really? So it must be a problem with the updates! Phew and i thought it was my computer. But if it is the update, then why would my winxp machine have no problems? I use firefox mostly but i tested with ie and it worked without incident. Are you running winxp or win2k?

7. TOGG

TOGG

8. junker39

junker39

Thanks TOGG, that about covers it. Another good trusty MS update has hit the fan.
    new tech guy, I run 2000 Pro also. Never had any problems until this one.

9. new tech guy

Oh ok thanks TOGG, will check it out.

10. new tech guy

Now my one question is this, if this is a problem, why do i need a support pro to give me the hotfix?! Why cant i just get it on my norm windows update site?

11. TOGG

TOGG

I wouldn't presume to know how Microsoft's corporate mind works but, since they have been selling insecure software for at least ten years, why would they change now?

Perhaps you could try the Workaround instead and see how many of the sites you normally visit stop working?.

The less cynical explanation is that this fix is only needed by a limited number of people (although that may still be several million), so to make it available on the Update site would mean that millions of people who didn't need it would get the fix, (especially those naive enough to allow automatic updating of everything).

12. new tech guy

Apologies for slow reply, i have done the workaround and everything seems fine. So I am just leaving it like that. Thanks everyone for the help :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!